Where are the DIY cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a fair bit of general googling and forum searching, and come up empty.

Where's the discussion about cables?

Surely the (economy and quality) wonders of DIY apply at least as much to power cables, interconnects and speaker cables just as much as Amps and Speakers?

Point me, people Point me!

BugBear

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'll tell you where and why in a minute...

Try 'search' > 'advanced search', enter cables for 'Keyword' and make sure to select 'Titles Only'. Pick the threads with most replies......

(Many such threads get closed because they become to heated and without any substance. Most engineers select cable on suitability for the job in hand... they don't have magic properties)

And welcome to diyAudio :)

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 719
I'll tell you where and why in a minute...

Try 'search' > 'advanced search', enter cables for 'Keyword' and make sure to select 'Titles Only'. Pick the threads with most replies......

(Many such threads get closed because they become to heated and without any substance. Most engineers select cable on suitability for the job in hand... they don't have magic properties)

And welcome to diyAudio :)

Doh! I searched for "cable" (not "cables"). The singular isn't used very often, for some reason.

Thank you.

BugBear

There are significant safety issues with power cables, so DIY there should be restricted to putting suitable connectors on the end of a suitable cable. For quite different reasons, this should also be the extent of DIY for other audio cables. In either case, there is not much to talk about. Hence most cable threads consist of a fan sharing his recipe, engineers pointing out the serious flaws in it, and other fans shouting abuse at the engineers (a quick way to gain the attention of the Mods).

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
There are significant safety issues with power cables, so DIY there should be restricted to putting suitable connectors on the end of a suitable cable. For quite different reasons, this should also be the extent of DIY for other audio cables. In either case, there is not much to talk about. Hence most cable threads consist of a fan sharing his recipe, engineers pointing out the serious flaws in it, and other fans shouting abuse at the engineers (a quick way to gain the attention of the Mods).

Those exact words should be a sticky and closed to prevent others posting their beliefs.

I have a question... I am making some mil spec silver clad copper twisted pair 28awg cables for my amp wiring, and for a breakout box for the speaker distribution. My question is what would happen in this situation...

The wires are one blue, and one white twisted pair.

If I want to increase the awg by using 2 pairs for each hookup, what would happen if I connected...

1. The two blue wires to the positive, and the 2 white wires to the negative vs hooking up the blue and white from one pair to the positive, and using 2 more pairs for the negative.

2. What would happen if I hooked up the 2 pairs and braided them together.

Will this effect the capacitance, resistance, and inductance, and what can I expect? Any potential problems to wiring like this?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

ellisr63 said:
I am making some mil spec silver clad copper twisted pair 28awg cables for my amp wiring
Why? Wiring within amplifiers is almost always unbalanced so should be shielded (i.e. coax) not twisted pair. No need for silver. No need for mil spec.

Combining two wires will halve the resistance, which may help speaker wiring but will make no difference to other signal wiring. Braiding wires is a good way to help them pick up more interference, as it increases loop area.

For unbalanced signal connections use coax. For balanced signal connections use twisted pair.

I am not familiar with American wire gauges, but 28awg sounds a bit small for speaker wiring.

I have a question... I am making some mil spec silver clad copper twisted pair 28awg cables for my amp wiring, and for a breakout box for the speaker distribution. My question is what would happen in this situation...

The wires are one blue, and one white twisted pair.

If I want to increase the awg by using 2 pairs for each hookup, what would happen if I connected...

1. The two blue wires to the positive, and the 2 white wires to the negative vs hooking up the blue and white from one pair to the positive, and using 2 more pairs for the negative.

2. What would happen if I hooked up the 2 pairs and braided them together.

Will this effect the capacitance, resistance, and inductance, and what can I expect? Any potential problems to wiring like this?
Ellis, it sounds like you are using "star-quad" microphone style cable. This is meant for balanced connections. With such cables, the two blues are tied together and the two whites are tied together.

If you look at the cross-section, you will see that the blue and white alternate. This has some very desirable physical properties (and some less desirable ones too). One cannot eliminate the sources of interference that are picked up by cables. Twisting the conductors insures that each conductor is about the same distance from the interference source. This means the amount of interference on each conductor is about equal. This is called common-mode noise. Balanced inputs will reject common-mode noise and only amplify the differential signals that are desired.

Star-quad cables use two conductors for two reasons. First, it is a more stable construction that insures a good twist even after lots of flexing. Second, since the paired conductors alternate, the virtual centers of each pair are coincident with each other. This greatly lowers the differential noise caused by interfering sources. I have run tests comparing standard mic cables to star-quad cables where I use a video tape demagnetizer as my interference source. I have seen differences of about 40 dB in the differential noise between the two cable types.

Now, all decisions are trade-offs. Star-quad cables weigh more and have higher capacitance. If you are doing long cable runs, this can be a problem.

A little more info... I am building a amp with IcePower amp modules. The wire is unshielded mil spec 2 wire twisted pair. Each wire of the twisted pair consists of 7 smaller gauge wires that are silver clad copper wire. The wire length will be less than 1' for each run inside of the amp. It will go from a rca panel jack to IcePower amp module, and then go to Speakon connectors on the rear panel of the amp. The amps are 50wpc, and 100wpc modules, and are being used to power 114db EV DH1a drivers. I hope this clarify the situation better.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.