Relay volume control and input kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys!

After toying around with Alps pots, I would like to experiment with Relay based volume control and input selector kits. I've seen a bunch online with varying prices, but I’m having a hard time figuring out what's good has good bang for buck.

So, what do you recommend?

Volume control and input selection are a must, having a screen would be nice. Also, I would rather not spend more than 150$ if possible (and I know it might not be realistic)

Thank you very much!

Omri.

Hi Omri,

Depends on what you meen by "experiment". To me all relay based designs are more or less the same since there is not much that you can do different. The main difference is in ergonomics. The choice of resistors and relays depends on personal preferences and is difficult to generalize. Here are some more options for you:

1. Joshua Tree
2. Delta 1
3. RelaiXed Passive
4. Maya

and I guess many other options within your budget.

I also have some bare PCBs for R2R attenuator, input selector, I2C relay controller, arduino nano interface board. I made them by myself but have some leftover boards.

Regards,
Oleg

Well, i guess calling it "experiment" doesnt make alot of sense...

from reading about the subject, it seems a relay based solution is really the best way to go, both for best quality and comfort.. so i guess im not really looking to experiment, but rather just install such a kit in my preamp :)

I can recommend the relaixed passive as I am using one in my preamp and it is just what you need to make a functional input and attenuator. You can also use the power board to switch your power amp or associated gear on and off using a single push of a button.

The delta1 from amb.org is also a very nice piece of kit, although I never built one I know Ti personally, have built many of his projects and know it is well designed and developed.
You can write the name of each input and output, and it is much more flexible than the other choices, it will probably cost a bit more to build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.