Pot Noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi! In an echo unit i made, two of the pots (the dry & wet) make a dusty noise. But there is no dust.. I replaced them with new ones, and have the same issue. The power supply is a transformer audio power supply so there is no noise from threre. the chassis is also grounded. Also test the unit in a guitar amp and to a monitor speaker, results are the same. Any ideas?

Not sure from your words what the circuit is? What is "dusty" noise?!

However, if there is rustling noise generated when the pot is turned, the most obvious cause is DC flowing through the pot.

You need to show the circuit you are using. A simple cure would be to ad a cap in series with one end of the pot (like 10uF ?!) but this may not work if the current is needed to bias something. This is just bad design!

Post the circuit!

EDIT: added that if there is already a series cap, it may be leaky!

Last edited:
echo1.jpg

The cold end of the "repeats" pot is at GND, current is flowing from the "wet" port through both pots. I think the cold end of the "repeats" pot should also be at +4.5V.

Or tie the cold end of the "wet" pot to GND as is on the original drawing.

Last edited:
tiefbassuebertr said:
If the mentioned noise is only present while adjusting the potentiometer, is this correct.
Yes. This is precisely the symptom you should expect from DC on a pot: noise when adjusting it. In addition, the pot is likely to age more quickly and get to the stage where it is noisy all the time as well.

In this case you must replace all electrolytic capacitors to the inputs of potentiometer by a foil version (e. g. WIMA MKS).
In non-critical situations an electrolytic is good enough. Low voltage circuit for a guitar amp etc. is a non-critical situation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.