balanced vs. unbalanced

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is a hysteresis type of affect between the opposing voltage of these two wires (since they are so close) that helps stabilize the main signal wire and reduces distortion and helps with natural shielding.

I think we all know that this is pure, unadulterated BS. But what intrigues me is where you get this stuff? Is it something that you believe is 'obvious', did you read it somewhere, how can anyone come up with this??

Jan

There is a team of people in a country which cannot be named. They are trying to undermine our values and culture. A couple of them have been tasked with getting at us via our science. One of them had the bright idea that science can be undermined by planting false ideas into the world of audiophilia. He has help from a computer which generates nonsense from partly digested technical English articles fed into it (some of us here have played with such algorithms). These 'ideas' are dropped into conversation on various audio websites; most are rejected as being simply daft but a few of them develop wings and get repeated elsewhere. The poor state of science teaching in schools and universities helps.

I can't say any more - I have already said too much for my own health.

Hi Bill, I don't think so. The OP question relates to his "My new arrival preamp/DAC has both outputs"
Call them whatever XLR or Balanced. My description in my last post still applies to what I've seen all too many times, just extra opamps in the signal path on these inputs/outputs. And in his case the balanced/xlr may sound worse because of extra opamps in the signal path.

Cheers George

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi billshurv,
He also fell into the "dirty op amp" trap as well. That must have hurt, straddling two traps at once!

Hi George,
Does it? Hurt that is. Anyway, most op amps in current audio are so low in distortion that you should be glad they are there. Never mind how many op amps the sound goes through before the master tape even. Really, you should be concerned about how many simple transistor circuits the signal might go through. Even worse, some newly designed tube (valve) circuits that aren't done correctly. Just 'cause it's hot doesn't mean it's good!

-Chris

Hi George,
Does it? Hurt that is. Anyway, most op amps in current audio are so low in distortion that you should be glad they are there.

-Chris

I believe so with my experience. I had a Classe DR?? that had both xlr and rca inputs and the rca to me always sounded more pleasing. When I opened it up I saw a an opamp for the xlr input who's output then went to the rca input of the amp which is all discrete. This then explained why the rca sound better to me.

Same went for the Cary CDP the rca sounded better than the xlr output, the rca came from the PCM1704 (asingle ended dac) to the output stage RCA at which they slipped in another opamp to make also the xlr output.

Since then I have seen this bogus XLR outputs and inputs on various cdp dacs and amps.

Cheers George

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi George,
Ahhh, but what was the number on the op amp?

Op Amps come in good, bad and just plain ugly. Some of the new collection from TI and Analog Devices are without blame. Mind you, they still have to be applied correctly!

Keep in mind that your balanced inputs and outputs are all adapters. Some are purpose built chips, and they can be quite good. Others will be a circuit that uses op amps. I've even seen attempts using tubes, but those were terrible designs from a designer who really doesn't know his stuff.

The basic truth is that a well designed and executed design solves more sonic problems than it creates. Remember, there are op amps out there that have distortion so low that measuring them is a real problem. They also sound very good - like as in not there.

Put away that big fat paint brush meant for 741, 1458 and 4558 op amps and try not to pain the good ones with the same paint. There are massive differences between them. Look at the LME497xx series and some of the new OPAxxxx series op amps. There are also others, and with a little effort you can find them.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi George,
The NE5532 is a good op amp if it isn't a knock-off. The TL072 sounds better than a 4558, and is less noisy, but they don't sound very good. Try using an LME49720 to replace bipolar input op amps (NE5532, 4558) and OPA2134 to replace J-FET input op amps. Prepare to smile.

Of course if the design is pooched, nothing in there will sound good. Sometimes you just can't fix a bad design. One thing to watch out for is the higher current draw of the new parts. So if you go swapping op amps, check the supply voltage doesn't drop. Also make sure the regulators aren't running too hot. This is a very real issue, especially where you see TL072 and LF353 op amps that draw very little. Of course, the power supply could probably use a redesign if they are using those cheaper op amps.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi cumbb,
Those VRDS players also used high rotating mass for the CD clamp, which runs counter to what you need. You can thank Pioneer for that aborted idea, CEC made probably the very worst player along those lines, very much like a belt drive turntable. Really stupid. The CD must be able to change speed rapidly in case it's off-center or has warps.

-Chris

while cable tv cable is in the vicinity, say one foot away. or 1.5. Will junk cross over and creep in your rca connection and interfere? There was no expectation placed on the 90 cent wire loom to block it. I can't see it being a good isolator it happened to be on that wire. Spreading them away seemed to help, not much. there is still some noise present.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.