Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Remote Control for the BPBP
Remote Control for the BPBP
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2016, 04:49 PM   #21
Hans Polak is offline Hans Polak  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=NATDBERG;4720546]My understanding is that the 4 input board sits as a separate board, perhaps even in a separate box. That way it can be added by anyone already using their bppbp as a two input preamp with no changes to the original board.[Quote]
That is fully correct

Quote:
I'm sure that anyone who wants to and hasn't yet installed their bppbp can instead solder wires directly to the bppbp and extend the bppbp's outputs to the rear panel.
Not only the output should be extended to the rear panel, but also Channel 1 of the BPBP.

Hans
Old 20th May 2016, 04:54 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emyeuoi View Post
I am not sure about a separated box. As far I understand the Maja board will control the inputs and the volume. So there will be a connection from the Maja to the BP preampli for the pot and another connection for the additional input board.
That is correct, the wiring from the VolCB (no Maya signals are involved) to the "4 Input Select" can be extended to an outside box, although the shorter the better, so everything in one and the same cabinet is to be preferred.

Hans
Old 20th May 2016, 06:29 PM   #23
NATDBERG is offline NATDBERG  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Polak View Post
Selecting an output to switch a relay is performed directly from a I2C chip, in this case a PCF8574.
I hadn't realised that - makes sense now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Polak View Post
Yes, by simply removing (or not mounting) the volume PCF8574, you have direct control over the 6 steering lines to select any code between 0 and 63.
Excellent, thanks for that info.
Old 21st May 2016, 02:09 PM   #24
aradan is offline aradan  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Hi there,

I have gine through Maya and VoICB. It looks like an interesting project all together.

I am planning to use BPBP as a part of active crossover for 3way speakers.

My application would be far from typical but interesting.

I will need three stereo balanced inputs only with no input selection functionality. Feeding three set of VoICB boards using Maya controller.

The output would be 3 stereo balanced outputs.

Do you think this solution could be implemented by modifying just the input board presented here?

From Maya perspective it has 4 inputs only, but each input can have any number of channels. As long as you are using enough maya boards

I.e. 1x stereo board can be used as balanced input.

If you have 3x balanced boards installed in Maya it will give you.

4x inputs with 3x balanced channel each

Would similar set up work with 3x VoICB boards as well?

Thanks,
Oleg

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Old 21st May 2016, 02:56 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aradan View Post
Hi there,

I have gine through Maya and VoICB. It looks like an interesting project all together.

I am planning to use BPBP as a part of active crossover for 3way speakers.

My application would be far from typical but interesting.

I will need three stereo balanced inputs only with no input selection functionality. Feeding three set of VoICB boards using Maya controller.

The output would be 3 stereo balanced outputs.

Do you think this solution could be implemented by modifying just the input board presented here?
I am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of questions, but IŽll try to answer them where possible.
Did you read this posting, it describes how to setup a system for a 3 channel LS system.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/279382-bppbp-bruno-putzeys-purist-balanced-preamp-well-balanced-volume-control-really-45.html#post4700449
So the answer is yes and you don't have to change anything at all.
Just one Maya controller, three VolCB's and three BPBP is what you will need.

Quote:
From Maya perspective it has 4 inputs only, but each input can have any number of channels. As long as you are using enough maya boards
I do not understand this differentiation between inputs and channels. In my perception they are the same thing.
A complete Maya system in its simplest version has 4 Single Ended inputs, but this can be expanded to many multiples of 4, either single ended or balanced.

Quote:
I.e. 1x stereo board can be used as balanced input.
No, for balanced you need 2 SE (Single Ended) boards.

Quote:
If you have 3x balanced boards installed in Maya it will give you.

4x inputs with 3x balanced channel each
3 balanced boards are thus in fact 6 SE boards, giving you 12 balanced inputs, or 8 Balanced + 8 SE, or 4 balanced + 16 SE inputs.

Quote:
Would similar set up work with 3x VoICB boards as well?

Thanks,
Oleg

As already mentioned, when using BPBP's you will need 1 Maya controller, 3 VolCB's and 3 BPBP's.
Individual loudness differences between the 3 LS channels can be tuned by means of description in the link above.

Hope this helps you,
Hans
Old 21st May 2016, 03:36 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hi Hans,

Thank you for considering my post.

It is all clear to me now.

I will go through the link you have provided.

As for Maya I think the terminology of inputs and channels there is split.

I.e one input should include all channels.

I..e.. Maya had 4 inputs only. But tibi is saying you can use it to power your ht solution with any number of channels.

Lets assume you have 6 channels and 3 stereo single ended boards.

That means you would have 3*2=6 single ended channels.

And 4 inputs, giving you 4*6=24 channels in total.

In case of Maya build one board can be used for single ended stereo (2x single ended channels) or one balanced channel.

Old 21st May 2016, 03:53 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aradan View Post
Hi Hans,

Thank you for considering my post.

It is all clear to me now.

I will go through the link you have provided.

As for Maya I think the terminology of inputs and channels there is split.

I.e one input should include all channels.

I..e.. Maya had 4 inputs only. But tibi is saying you can use it to power your ht solution with any number of channels.

Lets assume you have 6 channels and 3 stereo single ended boards.

That means you would have 3*2=6 single ended channels.

And 4 inputs, giving you 4*6=24 channels in total.

In case of Maya build one board can be used for single ended stereo (2x single ended channels) or one balanced channel.

It may be a good idea to check all this with Tibi, because I have the feeling that you have misunderstood the working of the Maya system.

Hans
Old 21st May 2016, 03:58 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I would. But if it is not it goes in contra with the phrase that it supports any number of channels.

Old 21st May 2016, 07:07 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

The "4 input select board" has been added to the Maya GB and can be selected.

Hans
Old 21st May 2016, 07:12 PM   #30
NATDBERG is offline NATDBERG  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Reading the question, i'm confused by what is meant by channels and inputs and also which boards are being referred to..

If you wanted to control 6 channels of balanced audio together at once (i.e. their levels move together in unison) the you would need 3 x BPPBP boards (each BPPBP board outputs 2 balanced chanels, normally left and right in stereo set up), 3 x VolCB and one single Maya.

A single Maya can control an endless number of VolCBs if all change level in unison, the all act as clones. Well, i'm sure there will be practical limits to the number of VolCB boards in reality, depending on the PCF chip's ability to handle signal loss over the array.

If you want to switch inputs on each of the BPPBP boards all at the same time then you should be able to again control multiple relays in unison via the input switching PCF chip on the VolCB. Either you could tie this input switching to just one VolCB with multiple relays switching via the 5v control lines from one VolCB, or you might be able to get each VolCB board switching input in unison just as you do with level control.

Does this sound like what you want to do?

If at any point you want to have channels with seperate level control from the other channels, you need another Maya added controlling it's own VolCB.

I'm not sure why you would want multiple inputs when controlling an active system. There would only be the one input - that of the crossover. Any input switching would surely go before the crossover and be a stereo source? In that case you can use just one of Hans' 3 input expansion boards before the crossover but controlled from the Maya/VolCB.

Does all this sound right Hans?

Remote Control for the BPBPHide this!Advertise here!