Phase change/ stage smearing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just got a superpreamp. It has a spec for phase change from way low to outer space.

It now occurs to me that this spec is likely what we refer to as a solid stage. The degree to which our pre allows competing phases, the cause of muddy.

Not only does this phase stability result in a durable stage, it also makes far less volume suffice. Slam being contrasting and distinct. Separation is also thru the roof.

The designer said that they didn't put any caps in the signal path. I presume this is to create that durable stage, low volume slam.

I don t know how many devices it takes to ensure NO phase change, but it cant be easy, or all the midfi guys would do so.

I never would have imagined that a highend pre could so transform music listening.

I wonder how much audible influence a shallow cross has on phase change at the speaker. Perhaps a sharp cross eliminates much of the phase change from overlap.

Joined 2011
Just got a superpreamp. It has a spec for phase change from way low to outer space.

For a first order low pass filter, the phase shift is 5 degrees a decade below the corner frequency.
If you had a preamp circuit with a first order roll off, and wanted 5 degrees phase shift maximum at 20kHz,
the bandwidth should be at least 200kHz. At the low end, direct coupled with servo.

Last edited:
Highfido said:
The designer said that they didn't put any caps in the signal path. I presume this is to create that durable stage, low volume slam.
I presume this means that the designer doesn't understand electronics, or at least hopes that his customers don't understand electronics.

I don t know how many devices it takes to ensure NO phase change, but it cant be easy, or all the midfi guys would do so.
To get no phase change you need no filters. As filters are unavoidable, you can't have no phase change.

The rest of the post is written in a language which superficially looks like technical English but clearly is not.

Sorry I didnt use the specific technical language

of starched shirt reviewers, and their dearth of adjectives. The pukey gobbledygook passed as the reasons electronically for better sound bothers me. I have no technical training in electronics. I am far advanced in many other fields. I am OK with that. I hope you are too.

QUOTE=DF96;4560862]I presume this means that the designer doesn't understand electronics, or at least hopes that his customers don't understand electronics.

To get no phase change you need no filters. As filters are unavoidable, you can't have no phase change.

The rest of the post is written in a language which superficially looks like technical English but clearly is not.[/QUOTE]

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Any decently designed preamp will have zero phase change throughout the audio band.
If this "superpreamp" has the capability to add phase distortion to the existing phase distortion of a typical speaker system, then I'm not sure how that's beneficial.

If your supposition is that your "superpreamp" can reverse or "cancel" the phase distortion of a typical speaker system, I can assure you that's not the case. DSP tools and some computer number crunching is required for that objective. It's not possible with analog circuitry.

If you're not interested in the "pukey gobbledygook" I suggest to not use it yourself as you did in the first post. :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Not intentionally included phase change.

Removal being the key to solid stage. Slam, distortion etc. And the degree to which that is wise to design for. Other being large enough power supply.

Any decently designed preamp will have zero phase change throughout the audio band.
If this "superpreamp" has the capability to add phase distortion to the existing phase distortion of a typical speaker system, then I'm not sure how that's beneficial.

If your supposition is that your "superpreamp" can reverse or "cancel" the phase distortion of a typical speaker system, I can assure you that's not the case. DSP tools and some computer number crunching is required for that objective. It's not possible with analog circuitry.

If you're not interested in the "pukey gobbledygook" I suggest to not use it yourself as you did in the first post. :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
As I said, any decent designed preamp will not have any phase change....intentionally or not.

I suggest to check with the designer of your "superpreamp" and he can enlighten you on any specific phase-changing properties the unit has.
Everything you're posting here is just complete speculation.

Dave.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.