Sleep In Peace>>>>>>>>> - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2015, 07:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Are Superior Low Noise Transistors Available

(Newbie)

What NEW Preamplifier Transistors with an extremely Low Noise and High Gain are superior to the following: 2SC2362 or 2SC1845 or KTC2240?

Last edited by acvegas; 23rd December 2015 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Recommended by Moderator & Spelling Typo
Old 23rd December 2015, 08:09 AM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

You might get more replies if you can come up with a better title
Old 23rd December 2015, 01:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I believe the descendants of the 2SC2240 are now in SMT packages.

The NEC and Sanyo ones I think have perished as far as from the original manufacturers are concerned.

The ROHM 120V low noise transistors made it into the present day SMT packages as well, however they no longer make any claims about its noisiness on recent datasheets.

At some point in time claiming noise performance on these transistors became fashion faux pas as focus moved to lower voltages and towards gigahertz.

ED- of the ones that made it to SMT you can find the dies in dual packages too - could be convenient for some things.

Last edited by mt490; 23rd December 2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 23rd December 2015, 02:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Thanks

Thanks "mt490" for that very helpful. I am trying to rebuild an old school audio pre-amplifier (from the 1980's) with the newest/latest/best in technology semiconductors and I noticed everything has went micro (SMT style packages, etc). I did get a reply from the Digikey Electronic Parts Company offering alternatives/replacements compatiable transistors: KSC1845FTACT-ND (by Fairchild Semiconductor) or ZTX694B-ND (by Diodes Incorporated).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt490 View Post
I believe the descendants of the 2SC2240 are now in SMT packages.

The NEC and Sanyo ones I think have perished as far as from the original manufacturers are concerned.

The ROHM 120V low noise transistors made it into the present day SMT packages as well, however they no longer make any claims about its noisiness on recent datasheets.

At some point in time claiming noise performance on these transistors became fashion faux pas as focus moved to lower voltages and towards gigahertz.

ED- of the ones that made it to SMT you can find the dies in dual packages too - could be convenient for some things.

Hide this!Advertise here!