Tape Head Pre Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2015, 01:05 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile Tape Head Pre Amp

Hello all, I am in need of some info regarding preplacing the two (2) AuriCaps in my tape head preamp. They are .33/+/- 10% 600volts. I had planed to check out the new AuriCaps XO, but don't know if that would be a big improvement. On the other hand I wonder if I decided to use a different brand of cap with the same electrical charactertics would that make a difference. I was thinking of trying lower/moderate priced Mundorf, Jantzen or some other good sounding caps. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Old 1st December 2015, 07:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanbob View Post
a different brand of cap with the same electrical characteristics would that make a difference.
Hmmm. How could that be??

Jan
Old 1st December 2015, 08:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Tape head preamps, like the medium itself, tend to be a bit on the lo-fi side. I don't see much point in going overboard with parts quality there. Some decent WIMAs ought to be plenty good enough.
Old 1st December 2015, 03:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Good morning again all, actually, there are several music loving company's that produce high quality 2 track running at 15ips. These tape producers are providing 10 inch tapes with classical as well as jazz music of the higest quality. Many audio shows use these tapes to show off their speakers. Finally, there are tape head preamps that sell from about $2000 up. I have some jazz and classical music tapes that sound better than my VPI turntable and Grado cartridge. So, the tape head preamp plays a major role in how those tapes sound coming out of my Magnapan speakers. Thanks for your comments. And forgive me if I did not place my first post in the right forum. Thanks so much.

Hide this!Advertise here!