Power supply to make rails for a linkwitz transform. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 21st November 2015, 10:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Default Power supply to make rails for a linkwitz transform.

I just got my neighbor some infinity qa's and they're absolutely amazing sounding. The only thing is I know a linkwitz transform could really push the bass lower. It's a sealed design and 2 10's in her apartment with the fact that we're in an apartment so it won't be going loud anyways, a linkwitz transform would really "transform" the bass. Lol.

Anyways I know all of how to put the circuit together, but I just don't know how I would power the rails of the op amp? Also I was planning on just using a 741 op amp but wasn't sure if there's any difference on audio quality?

Old 23rd November 2015, 06:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
So I take it placing the speakers in room corners is not an option, or the walls are too lossy for this to work well? That's the good thing about CB speakers, you can use this old trick to boost LF extension (unlike in BR whose steeper dropoff just creates a mess).

Anyway, where are you expecting to place the circuit? Between pre and power amp, I guess? Typical power amp input sensitivity is about 1.5 Vrms, so one could do even this with a single 9V supply. AC coupled ins and outs, 220 F across supply, R/RC divider to generate virtual ground (47k/47k+2.2 should basically get the job done, you only need to supply +in bias current an inverting circuit). Use 47-220 ohm output series R depending on opamp type.

I would use something just slightly more advanced than a 741 though (or how many audio circuits from the last 30 years have you seen that still make use of 'em?). It's an inverting circuit, and if you don't choose impedances all too low it doesn't put too much of a load onto the output either, you just need a part that still works decently from even a somewhat-depleted battery, so about 5-6 V up. Assuming you're not too keen on changing batteries, a modest power draw won't hurt. You can always use a plain ol' NE5532 (not TI) if that's not an issue, but it's kinda hungry. MC33078 (ST) / TS522 would be OK, or NJM4565 or NJM4580. Got anything still floating around?
Old 23rd November 2015, 07:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
A split rail supply or a single rail with virtual ground would work.

You mentioned it cant be loud due to it being a flat.
Adding to the bass will make it more neighbour unfriendly as bass travels through floors and walls easier.
My neighbour often plays music and all I can hear is the bass notes coming through the wall.
Murton-Pike Systems PCBCAD51 pcb design software. http://murtonpikesystems.azurewebsites.net/

Hide this!Advertise here!