Passive Pre XLR Volume Control (Poor Man's Goldpoint SA1X)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The big tpa3116 thread over in the Class D sub-forum caused me to build more little amps than I care to admit. On about half of them I put a simple potentiometer or stepped attenuator volume control. I figured I'll build more amps as time goes on (though not necessarily tpa3116-based), and it might be more efficient in terms of time to have a separate component for volume control, so I don't have to keep implementing this feature.

I did a little searching and found inspiration in the Emotiva Control Freak and (at 10x the price) the Goldpoint SA1X. I really wanted to get the Goldpoint, but the price put it out of my reach.

So I implemented my own "poor man's SA1X" using these "DACT Type 21" stepped attenuators on ebay. In particular, you can get a balanced (XLR) "double" attenuator for about $40 USD. I had one gender of XLR jacks on hand, bought the other gender; I also bought a cheap steel case. I already had the hook-up wire, and I bought some 0-ohm SMT resistors to attempt to make my PCB work half-way decent-looking.

In a move that may prove silly, I then thought I could somewhat ruggedize this device by potting it with hot melt glue. Time will tell if I come to regret this.

So far, I've only briefly tested that it works (it does). This is actually the second one I built; one of the stepped attenuators in my first build went bad and basically turned into a short. That kind of wrecked my confidence with these things, but I'm hoping it was just a one-time fluke.

Anyway, just thought I'd post it here, because someone else might find some inspiration in the idea; it's a simple build. Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• DSC_9349-scaled40.jpg
    DSC_9349-scaled40.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC_9353-scaled40.jpg
    DSC_9353-scaled40.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC_9354-scaled40.jpg
    DSC_9354-scaled40.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC_9358-scaled40.jpg
    DSC_9358-scaled40.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC_9362-scaled40.jpg
    DSC_9362-scaled40.jpg
    840 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC_9366-scaled40.jpg
    DSC_9366-scaled40.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC_9383-scaled40.jpg
    DSC_9383-scaled40.jpg
    850.9 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_9384-scaled40.jpg
    DSC_9384-scaled40.jpg
    837.7 KB · Views: 107
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I see. This is simple enough that I think I can explain it verbally. If not, I'll try to draw a diagram and/or annotate one of my pics.

Consider a simple potentiometer or stepped-attenuator, it will have three pins:
- Input
- Output
- Ground

The stepped attenuator I used has twelve total pins. It's effectively a "4-in-1" or "quad" stepped attenuator, so it has:
- 4x input
- 4x output
- 4x ground

Due to using balanced/XLR connections, I have exactly four signal lines:
- left channel positive (L+)
- left channel negative (L-)
- right channel positive (R+)
- right channel negative (R-)

And in case it's not obvious, I have two each XLR male (L/R output) and female (L/R input) sockets:
- XLR_Female_1
- XLR_Female_2
- XLR_Male_1
- XLR_Male_2

So consider just one signal line, say R+:

Code:
XLR_Female_1 pin_2 -> attenuator_1 input, attenuator_1 output -> XLR_Male_1 pin_2

All four together looks like this:
Code:
XLR_Female_1 pin_2 -> attenuator_1 input, attenuator_1 output -> XLR_Male_1 pin_2
XLR_Female_1 pin_3 -> attenuator_2 input, attenuator_2 output -> XLR_Male_1 pin_3
XLR_Female_2 pin_2 -> attenuator_3 input, attenuator_3 output -> XLR_Male_2 pin_2
XLR_Female_2 pin_3 -> attenuator_4 input, attenuator_4 output -> XLR_Male_2 pin_3

I jumpered the grounds for each pair of attenuators. So attenuators 1 and 2 have a common ground, and attenuators 3 and 4 share a ground. Thus:
Code:
XLR_Female_1 pin_1 -> attenuator_1+2 gnd, attenuator_1+2 gnd -> XLR_Male_1 pin_1
XLR_Female_2 pin_1 -> attenuator_3+4 gnd, attenuator_3+4 gnd -> XLR_Male_2 pin_1

Now that I typed all that out, a diagram probably would have been simpler. :)

Let me know if it's still unclear!

Unbalanced interconnections do not require balanced impedance connections, neither from the Source, nor at the Receiver.

Balanced impedance interconnections DEMAND balanced impedance from the Source and at the Receiver.

Your vol pots can never achive the balance required of a balanced impedance connection.

Read up on balanced impedance

D.Self, Jensen, Whitlock, ESP, B.Putzeys and many others.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.