Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5

hi guys
just a quick question ...cud it be possible to change the lm7815 and lm7915
with lm317 i like to be able to adjust my power supply so its so accurate as possible.
with out do to much change on the orginal psb.??
Tom

Tom,

The power supply PCB that you will soon be receiving in your PCB kit is fully adjustable from +/-9 volts to +/-24 volts.

Details are here: Dropbox - SERIES_VREG_PWR_SUPPLY.zip

I have another question.
I like to have a mono out,
Cud I take the signal strait from the output and just as a summer to make mono.. Using ina134 for example.??
����
I never needed this. But I guess you could just use a standard summing amplifier. And you could use LM4562 here, as well. And you might want to read the chapters about mixers in Small Signal Audio Design.

How much heat does the LM317/337 produce with a 18VAC transformer? I'm assembling my preamp in a 1U chassis and an going to need to mill the heat sinks down to fit under the cover. Will 1.25" tall heat sinks work here?

Hello Jeff,

It's good to see you here. The 1.25 inch heat sinks work fine. In fact the heat sinks in the project BOM are 1 inch tall.

I think voltage drop X(times) current used is more important, not the transformer secondary voltage.

Voltage drop is dictated by the secondary voltage of the transformer, that's why I mentioned it. The target output voltage is +/- 18VDC. Likely this could be achieved from 15VAC secondaries in the transformer. If heat was going to be an issue I would switch to the later transformer.

Voltage drop is dictated by the secondary voltage of the transformer, that's why I mentioned it. The target output voltage is +/- 18VDC. Likely this could be achieved from 15VAC secondaries in the transformer. If heat was going to be an issue I would switch to the later transformer.

I wouldn't go too close to the lower limit with the transformer as the input voltage typically is not very stable. As you go for 18V DC outputs, I assume you only want the best ;) The rather low power consumption of the preamp will help you - there has been a discussion about it within this thread.

Getting ready to order up all of the parts for this project. I have most of the boards from Carl and the remainder is on it's way to me.

Question - what type of fuse is everyone using on the power supply; slo-blow, normal or fast blow?

TIA,
Bill

Slo-blow on the inputs as the inrush current may be times higher than the nominal current, especially when using torroidal transformers.