Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5
Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2018, 08:43 AM   #1071
rmaudio is offline rmaudio  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

"input" not "oinout" of course :-)
Old 22nd July 2018, 06:54 PM   #1072
Xpersephone2 is online now Xpersephone2  Oman
diyAudio Member

Hi there, are there any boards remaining? I would be interested in two sets .
Old 22nd July 2018, 07:32 PM   #1073
Carl_Huff is offline Carl_Huff  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Doug Self Preamplifier Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpersephone2 View Post
Hi there, are there any boards remaining? I would be interested in two sets .
Please check your personal messages. I just sent you one.
Old 11th August 2018, 03:20 PM   #1074
hadihf is offline hadihf  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Default Frequency control Pot

Hi,

Does anybody have any experience of frequency control pots control rotation reversed? Can this happen wit none polarized caps?

Best Regards
Farooq
Old 12th August 2018, 11:08 PM   #1075
Carl_Huff is offline Carl_Huff  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadihf View Post
Hi,

Does anybody have any experience of frequency control pots control rotation reversed? Can this happen wit none polarized caps?

Best Regards
Farooq
Forooq,

From your description I think about the only way that you can accomplish what you describe is to reverse the wiring on pins 1 & 3 on the pots.

I am guessing that you are not using PCB solder mounted pots but rather chose to use panel pots with wire between them and the PCB.

If that is the case simply swap the wires now on pins 1 & 3. I invite others to comment.
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM   #1076
hadihf is offline hadihf  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

I notice that C14 on Carl's Schematic is also revered for same C14 in LA article page 150.
Old Today, 06:57 PM   #1077
batteryman is offline batteryman  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Pcb's ordered - glad there was some left!

I was pleased to find that Carl still had some pcbs available when I enquired a few days ago.
I decided to built the preamp for use with my dual TDA1541A balanced Dac with Sowter 9545 I/V transformers and IanCanada's I2S to Simultaneous interface. (almost finished)

I did once have a Quad 34 preamp driving a 405-2 and Martin Logan Aeon hybrid electrostatic speaker and found Quad's unusual "Ambler" tilt tone controls more useful than the usual Baxandall type. (which date from 1952)

I once had the commonly held view that tone controls were a no no and I still hold this view of the basic Baxandall type. However, now my Aeons are in a small space where they tend to bass heaviness, and with my age related high frequency hearing loss, I have realised that Doug Self's tone control design is just what I need to drive the Quad & Aeons.

I plan to dispense with the input capacitors + R2/R4 and change R5/6 to 3k3 as they will become the transformers' secondary load resistors. The load is reflected to the primary at the step up ratio (5:1) squared resulting in it seeing about 100R (in parallel with the existing 100r I/V resistors.)

I will probably also reduce the preamp gain since the 405-2 is more sensitive than modern power amps.
Ian

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5Hide this!Advertise here!