Preamp kit suitable for meridian 205 mono blocks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello !

I got this 2 set of meridian 205 monoblocks which are in great condition and their caps has been upgraded recently.
I'm using a PC M-Audio Audiophile 192 sound card as my source and I've tried Schitt passive pre-amp/Yamaha DSP A2 preamp.
When the source volume is very low or has a short silence in the song, The meridians makes this quiet "tick" sound, Like it is changing amplification mode or something. when it continue to play or silence ends, It ticks again and continues to play.
It only happens at very low volume levels of music / parts of silence.
I'm afraid it has to do with the fact of the output levels of the passive/DSP A2 preamps.
I had for a short time B&K reference 20 preamp, And I think it didn't behaved like that, But it was some time ago and I'm not sure.
I don't want to start spending money on preamps, But wanted to know if it's a known phenomena and what can be done about it.
There are 2 guys selling b&k preamps (PT3) in my country, But I want to make sure it'll solve the problem.
I'm also considering ordering this kit to try to replace the preamp (I already have a toroid 12V AC 12-0-12 power supply i've built into an aluminum box) :

CPI A1 A1000 Special Pre Amplifier Finished Board for Music Fax | eBay

Your professional input would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hi Andrew.

Yes, Electrical output to the speakers. Just got b&k 2030 PT3 mkII today (Stereo only preamp) and it still does it on low volumes :(
From the Meridian 205 manual :
"The 205 contains a circuit which senses an incoming signal. The presence of such a signal causes the light to
change from Green (Stand-by condition) to Red (Operation condition). When the unit is first turned on the lights
usually show red. If you get one of each colour this will be resolved when the music signal starts and has no effect
on sound quality."
The standby mode seems to works ok. When the ticks happen, The amps leds are red (Working music mode - Not stand by), And it happens in quite low volumes (-44 db on the b&k)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.