What's up with these messed up square waves?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
signal is generated by .wav file and by ElectroacousticToolbox software,
in every case is pretty much the same, clearly visibile square all the way up.
Simply I can not compare to the source, source is digital.
So this is the first place to get analog...
All other F are very good too.
off course this is only amateur simple measurement, but i tested other contemporary dac chips and they tend to distort square
making the sinusoidal as F goes hi as much. And that starts only after 3-4 KHz.Almost every dac chip.
And regardless of digital circuits input or analog output concept.
Because of that we can hardly find these graphs at the specs. Only 1KHz optionally.
But that ringing in the topic exaple on lower F 500Hz or lower is not from that phenomenon, something else causing this?

Last edited:
signal is generated by .wav file and by ElectroacousticToolbox software,
in every case is pretty much the same, clearly visibile square all the way up.
Simply I can not compare to the source, source is digital.
So it was generated by this software?
Electroacoustics Toolbox
It appears to directly generate an output to the DAC rather than playing a .wav file.

If you've got a .wav file you've used for this, I'd like to have it. If it's not too big you should be able to attach it and post it here, and if it IS too big, you should be able to edit it down to size.

Do you know the sampling rate used for the DAC?

Yes this one from link (mac lite version).
I use it for generating the different signals for measurements.
Also I have some files of signals to check the same circuit but with the computer player
(Decibel player, usually used)
for this specific dac tda1540 i used sample rates (without oversampling) up to 192KHz
I dont have on this computer file, will post a bit latter?

Zoran said:
Dont worry,
almost every dac showing pretty much the same, that is why they don't give these measurements...

almost every contemporary dac chip have more or less the same like You measured.
But I was really amassed when put trough the square gen to the old 14bit TDA1540
measuring much much better. If I found the pics I will post
Old chips don't include any filtering, so they give a false sense of 'fidelity' to those who are confused by time domain plots. Newer chips may include some digital filtering. What these plots show is the effect of filters, not the DAC process itself.

Alan0354 said:
I am not familiar with sound card, but it sure look bad. You actually see different duty cycle jitter at 5KHz and higher. This cannot be normal. You mean people cannot tell it sounds bad?
All this shows is the expected effect of sharp but not quite perfect filtering. It doesn't look bad at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.