Can anyone help me diagnose my IRIS problem? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2015, 03:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Can anyone help me diagnose my IRIS problem?

I posted up in another IRIS thread but it seemed to have gone unnoticed, so maybe doing a new thread would help.

The original problem began after a lightning strike that took out my whole stereo. Melted mid woofers in my speakers, blown fuses in my amp, the IRIS tuner stays on "seek", and the IRIS preamp went into "mute" and wouldn't come out of it. I can do without the tuner but the preamp is a must-fix if I want a good hifi system again.

After months of delays I finally had the time to source and replace some of the ICs. Since the mute circuit was the one that seemed to have the obvious problem, I started by replacing that IC (conveniently marked "MUTE" on the PCB) with a NOS LM1458N. I reinstalled the IR card, powered up the unit... and the mute light was still lit, though it didn't seem to have the brilliant light it did before I did the chip swap. I pushed the button a few times to see if it would go out. Eventually it did, along with any other lights. Now I have no working lights even if I power down and back up.

I haven't checked this with a signal yet to see if anything is going through it, but it appears to be dead. The panel lights used to all illuminate in sort of a self test, now nothing.

I don't have a scope, just a decent analog VOM and some continuity lights. I would really like to know what steps you guys would recommend I follow in order to find the defect. I have the hand drawn schematic thats been going around for a while now, but I have less than any idea how to proceed with it.
Old 27th July 2015, 04:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would check first for obvious shorts and opens, visual and ohmmeter. Then check to make sure the power supply is functioning properly. Then you can proceed with more precise voltage and component tests.

Hide this!Advertise here!