Converting JBL 5600-2B mixer for direct outs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up an old JBL 5600-2B preamp mixer on a whim recently. It's got 4 (unbalanced) microphone inputs, and the unit acts as a mixer outputting a stereo output.

I tracked down the manual and it seems the microphone inputs are high impedance, high gain. I thought maybe it'd be perfect for use as a preamp with my ribbon mics, which need exactly that: high impedance and high gain.

I'm not that saavy in electronics just yet, so I was wondering if someone could help me convert each of the microphone preamps into direct outs?

I've attached the schematic.

Cheers!

Attachments

• JBL-5600-2Bmanual-5.jpg
    JBL-5600-2Bmanual-5.jpg
    841.3 KB · Views: 43
This won't work the way you want. First off, the thing only has a mono output, and most of the signal chain is only present once. Each mic input only features a FET preamp of relatively moderate gain, no more than about 28 dB and probably less, with highish output impedance (pretty much the 12k load resistor). At the very least, you'd have to hack a buffer into the circuit for each channel. Good luck with the oldschool rat's nest of p2p wiring lurking underneath the chassis.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.