Failure or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good afternoon to all,

I didn't know where to start this thread, maybe it shouldn't be in DIYAUDIO in which case I'll remove it if asked.

I used to run a cd player directly to my P2100 yamaha amp with a pair of B&W dm2a. The upgrade bug struck me and I bought a Yamaha PC2002M for cheap. I sent it for a good oil change and it came back cleaned up with new light bulds (LEDs tough) but sounding WAY too loud (I couldn't go more than 1 graduation up on the attenuators). Thinking it might be normal (it is a much more powerful amp than the previous one) I went on and found a good deal on a Crown PSl-2 (no MOT or oil change on that one yet), the spec convinced me.

This setup: marantz CD 5001 + PSL-2 + PC2002M + DM2A is now more reasonable for ear protection purposes but I am not convinced sound wise at all. It is just too bassy (clean bass though) and I need to raise the volume a lot to get a good soundstage. It is worth writing that I haven't changed the room at all (and I know it's not the best setup for such a place) so the comparison in terms of acoustics is like for like. In the future I intend to use the crown as a volume control and switch (which it should do really well as, according to the spec, it should be transparent with tones defeated) but I not yet convinced.

What do you think could be the issue? If I need to send my PC2002M back I am not sure I trust the guys who did the works (these guys are real pros but I think I'll go to a yamaha pro audio approved tech).

thank you in advance for your reply/ies.

Best Regards

Geoffroy

Joined 2014
Paid Member
they are both 0.775V in for full power, but the new amp is 3 times the power so will have 18dB more gain. Looking at the specs they both have input attenuators, but these are pro amps so this is for setup rather than operation. The marantz doesn't have a variable output so a pre-amp would be needed (unity gain buffer type).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.