Stereo to Mono Converter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2015, 01:05 PM   #1
jim1961 is offline jim1961  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Stereo to Mono Converter

First, what I am trying to do and why.

Signal path:

DAC -> Passive attenuator (25k) - Power amp (75K)

What I want to add:

Passive attenuator (25K) -> (10K) Stereo to mono converter (10K) -> miniDSP (20K) -> Subs

For the stereo to mono converter, I was considering this: https://www.edcorusa.com/tpc6400

One problem is the back end of the passive attenuator will see a 10K (converter) and 75K (power amp) load. Can I just add say 68K 1W resistors between the back end of the attenuator and the front end of the converter so the back of the attenuator sees 78K and 75K loads in parallel instead of 10K and 75K?

The other concern is whether the back end of the converter (10K) will drive the miniDSP (20K) properly.

Thanks.
Old 12th June 2015, 01:16 PM   #2
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

The miniDSP will perform the stereo/mono conversion for you. Your proposed scheme seems way more complicated than it needs to be.

Dave.
Old 12th June 2015, 01:23 PM   #3
jim1961 is offline jim1961  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
The miniDSP will perform the stereo/mono conversion for you. Your proposed scheme seems way more complicated than it needs to be.

Dave.
The 4 way advanced wont unfortunately. I am choosing this plug in because I have (3) subs to drive with the miniDSP.

Just trust me that I need to do it this way. Its complicated.
Old 12th June 2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

Simply "Y" the two outputs together. The miniDSP 2x4 unit has high enough output resistance that this will not be a problem. I've done it myself many times.

Dave.
Old 14th June 2015, 09:25 AM   #5
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
Simply "Y" the two outputs together. The miniDSP 2x4 unit has high enough output resistance that this will not be a problem. I've done it myself many times.

Dave.
I hope you meant to post that the miniDSP 2x4 unit has a low enough output impedance.

The Y cable mixes the stereo channels and affects the crosstalk in the original source feed to the real stereo channels.
One should use a summing stage to ADD the two stereo channels together. This does not affect the crosstalk of the stereo source.

The maximum output impedance of the 25k attenuator is ~6k.
This will cut treble if the cable has significant capacitance.
This will be driving two sets of cables, to the two stereo channels and to the two channels of the summing stage.
The bass only channel does not mind losing some treble.
But the stereo channels must have the treble content preserved You may need to add Buffers at the 25k attenuator to drive these four cables.

Last edited by AndrewT; 14th June 2015 at 09:33 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!