crossover: series vs paraller effect on load impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

To keep this short, I first say that I know that speaker impedance varies along with frequency. I don't want to go into spesifics (yet). My simple question about 2-way speaker crossover comes from uhm desire to run speakers with TA2024 amp as 4 ohm load to get bigger sound if needed. The amp and speakers go for an old radio (see my other thread if interested). I've been looking for suitable speakers and I have had no luck finding 4ohm kit/plan for 2-way speakers with measurements (roughly) lower than w20cm x h30cm x d24cm (vertical, both elements near top part and if it has a port, it's behind) OR w26cm x h24cm x d24cm (horizontal mount, not optimal I know).

Now user giralfino suggested something really promising, it's this. The problem is, those elements are 8ohm. I see that the crossover is parallel, or at least speakers are wired parallel inside the crossover. Now does this crossover make 4ohm nominal output impedance, "load" or 8ohm? I can't find straight answers anywhere about how 8/8 ohm speakers with series or paraller crossover behave in common sense impedance load.

Please help!

I'm bored of reading around but not finding answers. Calculating lpf and hpf is not hard and without crossover 8/8ohms parallel would be 4ohms (nominal), but how is it with crossover? I want that 4ohm load...

Thanks for the quick and short answer. Yet my question remains unanswered, or does it? I could take "they'll be fine" as an answer and forget the whole thing but why can't I find the answer to how much is nominal impedance of 8ohm speakers (2-way)in paraller/series crossover situation. This version lists them at 8ohm. Is it possible to drop that impedance with different crossover?

Btw speakers, like any RLC circuit has it's resistive component ;)

Hi,

Parallel/series x/o's don't affect impedance, its basically the bass unit.

Yes RLC has a resistive component but also reactive components.

The reactive components increase currents above a resistive load.

If you test an amplifier into resistance, it needs doubling for speakers.
i.e. 4R results are applicable to nominally 8 ohm speakers, IMO.

rgds, sreten.

If you want to drop the OS's impedance then :
https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/overnightsensationmtm
https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/overnightsensationtmm

Last edited:
What is going on in here? It says "aluminum cone drivers from Seas (19TAF/D tweeter and the L11RCY/P woofer), feature a second order series crossover at 4,500Hz, stand just under 10" tall, 6" wide, and about 8.5" deep, and have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms (a result of the series crossover)." Afaik those elements are 8 ohm :confused:

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The most you'll get out of a driver is when running it without a crossover, unless you use resonance with the filters to increase response somewhere. Notwithstanding this, if a crossover lowers the impedance the extra load isn't contributing to output level in the constructive way you are looking for.

The speaker you are referring to is ported. Ofton perhaps always in a ported speaker there will be 2 impedience humps one above resonance and one below resonance. Between these the impedience may drop to the Re of the driver and I am realy hazy about this but it may drop below the Re which for an 8 ohm driver may be as low as 4.5 ohms. This may be what he is referring to.

the middle of the dip is a resistive impedance, i.e. virtually zero phase angle.
As such the resistive load at the resonant dip will be a very easy load for any competant amplifier.

It's the high phase angles where they combine with lowish impedances that are the real stress raisers for the amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.