"NOOB" needs help with tube preamp build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
I am doing a completely new build, two Bogen RP-1 mono preamps. I had purchased all parts for the build when I came upon a phono design by Thomas Mayer at Vinyl Savor and thought it would be a nice phono to add into my build since they both use the same tubes (6sf5 and 6j5 triodes). My problem is Thomas phono drawing calls for 300v but my rectifier is only putting out 160v. He also reviews a 6x5 rectifier and states that it will work in his phono pre design

My questions are
How can i get 300v out of a (6x5) rectifier when my drawing says 160v output..
Will I need a second power supply to feed the phono design or can I use my existing transformer (Antek AS-1t150 rated at 150v x 2 and 6.3v x 2) and maybe use a voltage doubler (6h6 tube) to get the needed 300v.
Will the phono pre design work using a lower voltage
What are my best options
I have already purchased all of the parts for the phono pre per drawing I just need info on the power supply
TO VIEW phono pre drawing google "6sf5 phono" it should take you to Vinyl Savor webb site
YES I have emailed Thomas and he politely refuse to help me.
THANKS

Last edited:
Pics of drawings

Hello here are the pics of my Bogen RP-1 drawings

Attachments

• WP_20150515_18_06_52_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20150515_18_06_52_Pro[1].jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 165
  • WP_20150515_18_07_17_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20150515_18_07_17_Pro[1].jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 166
  • WP_20150515_18_08_20_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20150515_18_08_20_Pro[1].jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 154
  • WP_20150515_18_09_04_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20150515_18_09_04_Pro[1].jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 151
Thanks Icsaszar for reply
By sheer luck I bought 2 BOGEN rp-1 mono pres for $80.00 and had them recapped with mid level caps(axon, solen, obligato, and vtl) and they sound amazing (full sound stage, air, depth, dynamics the most defining word is COMPLETE) but they are not perfect. I still have a balance issue and the chassises are butt ugly. So I thought what if I take this further and do a completely new build with better parts and different chassises.
To solve my balance issue I went with Khozmo attenuators,
I bought new tubes and replaced 6x5 rectifier with a Bendix 5258
I doubled output amperage on the transformer to support the Bendix 5258 rectifier I,m going with a toroidal transformer (Antek AS-1T150)
Audio Note, Shikoh, Vishay and TKD resistors
Solid copper wire
mundorf M-Tube and asc x386 caps for power supply
russian k-40 k-75, k-72
Juputer copper foil
Jantzen Superior Silver
Mulicaps
Hand built copper lined chassis (I have a Pioneer pd-65 that's copper lined it sounds great) does copper lined make a difference I don't know but it only cost $20.00 extra
I've been stockpiling parts and reading about this build for over 2 years.
Thanks again for reply

Hello DF96
Parts for phono pre cost me less than $100.00, show me a phono pre on the market that use film caps (Axon, Ibbligato, Russian silver mica and Infinity "wonder" caps) good resistors (Kwame, Takman and Amtrans) for less than a $1000.00.
Early in the project I was hoping to redesign high imp. input and valve 1 section of drawing and to use as a phono pre but no one locally could help me with a RIAA design later when I saw Thomas design on the internet I jumped on it not catching the voltage differences until after parts were purchased.

Thanks df96 for looking at my problem
I want to integrate this phono pre VinylSavor: The Octal Phono Preamplifier, Part 1 : Circuit into the Bogen RP-1. what is the simplest way to do this.
You say adding a 300v transformer is the easiest, but I was under the impression that the signal out of a transformer was not stable and I would need to design a psu with caps and resistors to get a clean signal into phono pre. (i have no experience in psu designs.

Sorry, I thought you had a design you wanted to build but found that you have bought the wrong power transformer for it.

As the two things you want to 'integrate' are designed for rather different HT/B+ supply rail voltages you will hit difficulties. I am not saying that it can't be done, but it may need more experience than you have - changing a design so it can work on half or double the rail voltage is nontrivial. Better to find phono and line stages which use the same voltage.

Hello df96
In the new design I won't need V1, it is a MIC input. After doing some research on voltage doublers, and was wondering if it's possible to split a line just after the rectifier pin 8, add a 6h6 doubler and send it to c2. remove c5, r1 and r6 thus isolating v1 and allowing me to create line voltage to phono pre.

Joined 2011
How can i get 300v out of a (6x5) rectifier when my drawing says 160v output.

You could possibly use a voltage doubler with solid state diodes.
Then the 6X5 (with both sections in parallel) could be at the output of the doubler, for a soft startup.
You'll have to change the DC voltage that floats the filaments when raising the supply voltage.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.