Help needed designing signal switching circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been working on building my amplifier enclosure and need to switch between two inputs.
The problem is i can only use a dpdt switch to do so.
I tried using a simple relay circuit to do the switching, but noticed that when the relays are powered up they tend to inject some noise into the signal.
So i got my hands on some bistable relays to do the switching and need a circuit to send a 12v to switch the relay one way and a -12v pulse to switch it the other way.
There are lots of circuits out there that work with temporary switches, but alas these don't work in my case since i am forced to use a simple DPDT toggle switch.
Any ideas how to go about doing it?
Thanks!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Would a resistor and cap work. Cap charges to -12 volt and can pulse the relay. You would have to allow the cap to charge between switching's. Perhaps something like 1000uf and 10k for starters. You might be able to get the cap value much lower and it still work.

Hello Molly,
A Cap and resistor was one of the first things i thought about, but couldn't figure out how to male ot work with a single dpdt switch, knowing that I need to feed the relay a +12V pulse to switch it one way and -a 12V pulse to switch it other way, all the while finding a way for caps to charge.
I also looked into 555 based circuits, but found nothing that could work with the challenging dpdt toggle switch

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Like this. The cap not in uses charges fully. The high value of resistor keeps the current in the relay at a minimal value.

Attachments

• Relay.png
    Relay.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 124
OK I know I must be missing something here, but what's the relay for?

A relay is simply a switch, so it seems overdone to have a switch switching the relay. It won't work to just switch the inputs with...the switch?

Unless, of course, you're talking about more than a DPDT relay.

Thanks Molly!
I'll try it later today and see what resistor/cap combo works.
Bentsnake, the problem arises because i'm using a dpdt switch and i need to switch at least 3 signals (right pos, left pos and ground).
this would be a non issue if I had 3pdt switch :)
So i'm planning to use Molly's schematic to switch 4 relays in series actually (right pos, right ground, left pos, left ground)

<< i need to switch at least 3 signals >>

Oops, I missed that part, got it now.

Just to mention it--now that you already have the bistable relays--eBay has "3PDT switch" (sans quotes) from Asian sellers. Also at taydaelectronics.com a very large Asian seller that ships worldwide. Of course I don't know how any of that might help things in Lebanon.

Last edited:
Yes, dont know what sources will be plugged into this amp as time goes by, and any slight difference in ground potential would be problematic

This circuit will generate very energetic pulses (24V^) from a single 12V supply and consume zero power under quiescent conditions.
For the ground problem, you can leave a permanent ~10Ω resistor between the two grounds: it will be sufficient to break any ground loop, but will also keep things under control when the contacts are momentarily floating.

Attachments

• BistRel.png
    BistRel.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 71
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.