New Dual Mono Super BA-3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quilted Knobs

Love the quilted maple! Did you source it locally?

Thanks for the reply re: parallel outputs.

Cheers,
Ryan

Hi Ryan, I got them from dknob out of Oregon. He did a beautiful job. Found out today that my wood working friend in the audio club also does knobs... He is more a winter woodworker. Here is a link to the guy in Oregon. Custom Knob Order Form :)

Your build looks beautiful. I've been convinced to building too. I was thinking of doing something similar and having a volume control and source selector incorporated into the build too..but I'm probably going to just go with a single transformer for both channels.

But your workmanship is spectacular. Thanks for the inspiration.

Building your own

Your build looks beautiful. I've been convinced to building too. I was thinking of doing something similar and having a volume control and source selector incorporated into the build too..but I'm probably going to just go with a single transformer for both channels.

But your workmanship is spectacular. Thanks for the inspiration.

Hi Sprags, Thank you for the kind words. Yes, the power supply might be a bit over the top. I found the Antek power transformers so cheap and good that I made the decision to build it as "purist" as I could. It is the best preamplifier I have ever owned or had in my system. There is also a certain satisfaction of doing it yourself. I highly recommend building your own. :D

Wood accent

It was suggested that the pre looks a bit naked. My Cousin said that.... So I worked a piece of Brazilian Yellow Heart to make a wood accent. Also gives me a place to label "Volume" and "Input". So I will attach a picture. This is just a test fit. :)

Attachments

• Wood accent 001.jpg
    Wood accent 001.jpg
    821.8 KB · Views: 244
Wood accent in place

Applied a clear lacquer finish yesterday. Open to opinions. Could ask my wood working friend to do one like this in flame Maple. A note on the Brazilian Yellow Heart.... The stuff has a tight grain and finishes well with a clear sealing finish. To avoid tear out at the holes drill a small hole first and go up one bit size at a time. Big holes work best with a stepped bit at low to medium speed. Beware of the dust when sanding or drilling it is a mild irritant. Did cough a bit working it. Once sealed it is no issue. ;)

Attachments

• Face plate accent 001.jpg
    Face plate accent 001.jpg
    751.3 KB · Views: 231
Face Plate update....

Applied a clear lacquer finish yesterday. Open to opinions. Could ask my wood working friend to do one like this in flame Maple. A note on the Brazilian Yellow Heart.... The stuff has a tight grain and finishes well with a clear sealing finish. To avoid tear out at the holes drill a small hole first and go up one bit size at a time. Big holes work best with a stepped bit at low to medium speed. Beware of the dust when sanding or drilling it is a mild irritant. Did cough a bit working it. Once sealed it is no issue. ;)
My wood working friend made me a nice flame Maple face plate. Just an update of it's current appearance. Still works wonderfully. :D

Attachments

• Super BA-3 002.jpg
    Super BA-3 002.jpg
    892.3 KB · Views: 199
Heatsinks... Raw supply board....

Looks very nice. Congrats!

Could you tell me what PSU board you are using before the superegs and what is the part # of the heat sinks for the K313 Fets?

Thanks. Nash
Hi Nash, Heatsinks are from Digi key. 504222B00000G Aavid Thermalloy | HS104-2-ND | DigiKey I am pretty sure that is the one I used. I looked up the basic power supply for you. It is on Ebay here. Dual Bridge Dual Polarity Unregulated Power Supply PCB | eBay Hope that helps. At that price I didn't see any reason to make a board. ;) Love the sound of the preamp. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.