Mic cable as single ended interconnects - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2015, 12:45 AM   #1
davym is offline davym  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Mic cable as single ended interconnects

Any thoughts about using ballanced mic cable for long interconnects in a single ended setup, like what to do with the screen? Is it best left floating? attached to signal ground at one end?

I'm just curious about noise pickup through interconnect screen and if there are any advantages in using a ballanced cable in this way instead of a coaxial one in runs of around 5 metres.
Old 21st February 2015, 01:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

No, it'll provide less shielding unless the shield acts as ground for both; which some equipment that's ok and others it isn't.

Coaxial shield doesn't stop noise so much as it takes advantage of skin effect, for audio. It's because the shield, the return, is also playing the impedance game among other things for single ended.

Balanced on the other hand take advantage of a low impedance path for the shield so it actually attenuates and differs noise to a high level.

The properties of balanced cable is a bit different, so I wouldn't expect them to work necessarily.

Connecting a shield at one end to ground provides a drain, but no attenuation to speak of so it's uses are insignificant compared to what balanced does...
Old 21st February 2015, 09:49 AM   #3
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

A grounded screen will provide protection from audio frequency electric fields. The twisted pair would provide some protection from audio frequency magnetic fields, provided that the sending end is 'floating'. This is how tonearm wiring works, or a microphone, but probably not a single-ended source. I would use coax for unbalanced connections.
Old 21st February 2015, 12:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks i normally only use coax, there are some who claim great things about pseudo balanced interconnects where the screen is connected to ground at one end but they don't all agree on which end.

I thought it was probably just another load of rubbish but if anyone here thinks differently, please let me know.
Old 21st February 2015, 02:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

It seems quite a number of cable manufacturers sell pseudo balanced interconnects, Chord being one of them. The only advantage i can see is that i could use cheap mic cable which has low capacitance. That could be an advantage with 15 foot inters.

Hi Fi Terminology The Chord Company

If you scroll down to - co-axial cable, Chord say they feel that analogue signals can be better carried via a pseudo balanced configuration cable. I notice they dont attempt to explain why they "feel" this to be the case.
Old 21st February 2015, 02:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have had signal cables running alongside power cable at times, this video makes me think....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&f...&v=DOoyrsi6ctk
Old 21st February 2015, 03:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I used hundreds of feet of mic cable to wire line level signals between rooms of my house. Works just fine.
Old 21st February 2015, 06:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplesset View Post
I used hundreds of feet of mic cable to wire line level signals between rooms of my house. Works just fine.
Thanks, how do you connect the screen?
Old 21st February 2015, 07:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Screen connected to audio ground, simplest thing I could do... Done most recently, 6 years ago, previously 20 years ago in a previous house.
Old 21st February 2015, 09:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info.

Hide this!Advertise here!