Mic cable as single ended interconnects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is somewhat related: I´m looking forward to try a step-up output transformer in my tda1543 dac. I will try a garden variety low-VA trafo, I think the magnetisation losses/parasitics will be lower with a small transformer.

This was suggested by John (ecdesigns) in the ultimate tda1541 thread. His schematic showed the trafo in step-up mode, primaries in parallel, secondary driving a very high impedance, if I recall correctly.

Well, in my case I would drive a balanced interconnect directly from the trafo, and I´m not sure what I´d use on the receiving end. Suggestions?

There is balanced (differential) routing cables and there is balanced (differential) signals...
Balanced signal - balanced wiring best
SE signal - balanced wiring very good if done correctly.
SE signal - SE wiring can be excellent (coax etc) or bad, but is the most prone to noise pick up so requires the most thought on shielding....

SE signal - balanced wiring is something i considered since my buffer and power amps have signal return connected to the boards not the chassis, well not directly anyway. I thought this might create a ground loop on each channel though.

My reasoning is if one cheap trafo can compromise SQ, I´d rather not take my chances with two of them.

Then again, line input trafo always makes more sense (than output). We want to reject RF at the input of a component.

Any other suggestions? I have an idea, but I must look again at some jensen papers.

Last edited:
Suggestion:

Test and measure in actual use. Decide which is "good enough". Report. I've been using mic cable SE for nearly 20 years, in lengths over 50 feet with no audible noise. That's good enough for my use.

Tested and measured, mainly by ear because my meter reads things but it can't hear anything.

Ready to report.

It's good enough! in fact i'm quite impressed :up:

Thanks everyone for your balanced input :D

There is balanced (differential) routing cables and there is balanced (differential) signals...
Balanced signal - balanced wiring best
SE signal - balanced wiring very good if done correctly.
SE signal - SE wiring can be excellent (coax etc) or bad, but is the most prone to noise pick up so requires the most thought on shielding....
As for SE signal - that is (RCA) unbalanced analog interconnects, after reading and rereading Henry Ott, Bill Whitlock, Jim Brown and Bruno Putzeys several times, I would still go with a coax cable that has a heavy braided shield.

Interesting read, explains the tradeoffs with grounding the screen on both sides vs send only, and also DC grounding vs AC grounding with a small cap, for RF only. (This is all for balanced interfaces and probably intended for long cable runs, but it´s interesting to try to understand these effects).

Design of High-Performance Balanced Audio Interfaces. Bill Whitlock. Jensen Transformers, Inc

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/balanced-interfaces.pdf

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.