DIY Sine Wave Oscillator Trouble - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2015, 11:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Sine Wave Oscillator Trouble

Hello
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
I've built an oscillator from these schematics.
Identify diagram: Wideband Wien Oscillator Circuit with Single Gang Pot
At the moment I only get light (from the LED) and sound when the switch is set to go through the 1uf capacitors. With the switch on the three other positions, there is no sound at all except for the normal hiss when you turn up the volume pot.
I've checked and re-checked every component and every bit of soldering. There's continuity where it should be and I've even tried 2 batteries in series just in case I wasn't getting enough voltage.
I can build these things but I'm not great at understanding the circuitry. if someone out there knows the theory behind this circuit, then any help and possible modifications needed in order to make this work would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks for your time
All the best
Old 16th February 2015, 10:33 AM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

You could try contacting the author. Merlin Blencowe is a member of DIYaudio (user name Merlinb).
Old 16th February 2015, 11:09 AM   #3
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosstowndude View Post
At the moment I only get light (from the LED) and sound when the switch is set to go through the 1uf capacitors.
Did you place the LED + LDR inside a completely opaque contaiiner?
Old 16th February 2015, 01:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvee View Post
Did you place the LED + LDR inside a completely opaque contaiiner?
Yeah, no light could get to them
Old 16th February 2015, 06:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The 1uF cap should cover 15Hz to 150Hz is this what you are getting and have you used the specified LDR
Old 16th February 2015, 06:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicyclic View Post
The 1uF cap should cover 15Hz to 150Hz is this what you are getting and have you used the specified LDR
Yeah I used the exact LDR they specified and I am getting approximately that frequency range from the 1uf cap.
Old 16th February 2015, 08:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I will say sorry up front but you are selecting 2x 1uF caps then 2x 100nF etc when you are turning the rotary switch as the switch numbering on the schematic is unusual , certainly to me .
Old 16th February 2015, 08:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

No need to say sorry, any thoughts are helpful. Yes, I've arranged the switch so that it's the 2x 1uf caps at the same time, then 2x 100nf etc.
Old 16th February 2015, 08:34 PM   #9
benb is online now benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicyclic View Post
I will say sorry up front but you are selecting 2x 1uF caps then 2x 100nF etc when you are turning the rotary switch as the switch numbering on the schematic is unusual , certainly to me .
Looking again, the parts list gives a specific part # for the switch. Googling:
RTAP42S04WFLSS C&K Components | Mouser
And clicking one more time gives the data sheet:
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/60/RTA_4jun13-33438.pdf
This has many models of different poles and positions in one rotary switch case, which tends to explain the odd and "non-standard" pin numbering for most configurations.

I'd get a meter and check for proper connections at each switch position to double-check that the actual switch connections are what I understand them to be.
Old 16th February 2015, 10:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I just went with a standard 2 pole 4 way slide switch and wired it so that it went to the two appropriate capacitors for each position. Regardless, I'll have another check that the proper connections are in place.

Hide this!Advertise here!