Akitika PR101 Preamp by Dan Joffe - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2014, 01:59 PM   #1
tomlang is offline tomlang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Akitika PR101 Preamp by Dan Joffe

Here is an interesting new preamp kit that has piqued my interest:

PR-101 Stereo Preamplifier

I know I'm old school in looking for a simple preamp with remote control and tone controls but this one fits my needs perfectly.

I'm in and have no affiliation other than a customer.
Old 29th December 2014, 07:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Akitika WEB Sites has group information

Maybe we can get a huge group purchase for this unit? I have looked at the
pdf install document, it's not complete, but it appears to be fairly well written.
What does everyone think? Take care.
Old 8th April 2015, 01:49 PM   #3
djoffe is offline djoffe  United States
diyAudio Member

The PR-101 is shipping...

PR-101 Stereo Preamplifier
Old 24th September 2015, 07:50 AM   #4
janusz is offline janusz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Have you built it? Phono stage as well? What are your comments?

cheers,
Old 24th September 2015, 12:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes I've built it...it sounds great...phono preamp, too! But then, I'm biased...I'm the designer!
Old 24th September 2015, 12:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I built it. To me, it was my "preamp dream come true". Remote control, lots of inputs, tone controls with defeat, two channels only. No nonsense design. I did not get the optional phono input.

Very, very quiet and musical and great value for the money as well. A "engineer's preamp" IMHO.
Old 24th September 2015, 01:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Akitika GT-101 amplifier

@tomlang Did you build the Akitika GT-101 amplifier too?
Old 24th September 2015, 01:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

No, I am strictly a DIY tube amp kinda guy.
Old 26th September 2015, 03:55 AM   #9
janusz is offline janusz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default dual op amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoffe View Post
Yes I've built it...it sounds great...phono preamp, too! But then, I'm biased...I'm the designer!
I got a couple of questions:
1. why did you use dual opamps rather than single ones (eg LME49710) and dual mono approach? Cost increase would be small and probably meaningless for users as when building diy preamps the most important part is the case - especially front and back panels.

2 Why not regulated PS allowing users to choose preferred voltage? I like to run op-amps close to their limit. LMEs run very well on +/-17V.

When it comes to the front panel I'd spread pots a bit more and I'd use a bigger volume pot knob, while the other three would be of the same size as your current volume and balance knobs. Face plate would look a bit more balanced but that is largely cosmetics.

cheers,
Old 26th September 2015, 04:24 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Great questions...I'm honored that you've taken the time to look it over so carefully!

In meeting a price and complexity point, everything involves trade-offs and compromises. Dual opamps versus singles saves some space. The only compromise is a bit of left-right crosstalk. Going to dual mono would unfortunately increase the cost a bunch. It's amazing how quickly it adds up, and how a little change can have large ripple effects!

Preferred voltage? It all comes back to those pesky compromises. If the output voltage were high enough to allow 15 volt or 17 volt rails, we'd need more raw output, then a bigger power transformer, and probably bigger heatsinks, and the cascade of cost continues. Now, having said that, there's probably enough extra room that you could swap the 12 volt regulators for 15 volt regulators...but probably not enough to go higher. Of course, you could opt for a switcher, but the noise is hard to deal with.

As to the front panel layout...more of those compromises! I agree that the spread out pots would probably look better, but it wouldn't leave as much room for option cards, or it would make it much harder to poke around and trouble-shoot the preamp, or add other enhancements.

So...in some cases, I think we have the same priorities...low distortion, quiet circuits, very low crosstalk between inputs...and perhaps some of the details of the choices are a bit different...

Thanks for taking the time to review things give me the feedback...

All the best...

Dan

Hide this!Advertise here!