Why are JRC MUSE01 and MUSE02 opamps so expensive?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could it be that output stage in MUSE01/02 is in class A? From the graph in DS it is obvious that max power output is only available up to 25C ambient temperature. But there is no mention about class A output stage in DS! With MUSE one probably should use a small dedicated IC heatsink.

Some indication is available from DigiKey site:

MUSES Op Amps are assembled with Advanced Symmetry Die-Bonding (ASD) technology, which achieves higher separation between the right and left channels resulting in well-balanced symmetry.

"Marketing starategy"

People become curious why expensive, like you so you can look at the hyped datasheet and see the very very beeeeest op-amp that the world has ever seen...

just like movies...actors are sensationalized to promote the movie they are in....

Could it be that output stage in MUSE01/02 is in class A? From the graph in DS it is obvious that max power output is only available up to 25C ambient temperature. But there is no mention about class A output stage in DS! With MUSE one probably should use a small dedicated IC heatsink.

Some indication is available from DigiKey site:

MUSES Op Amps are assembled with Advanced Symmetry Die-Bonding (ASD) technology, which achieves higher separation between the right and left channels resulting in well-balanced symmetry.

The power supply current doesn't seem high enough for the output stage to be running in class A. The quote from digikey to me suggests that the part is a multi-chip module (MCM). In this case, each op amp would be on it's own die (rather than on the same die as in other dual op amps). There might be some benefits in channel separation, including thermal coupling between the two parts (this would depend on the die attach method to the lead frame). The "well balanced symmetry" line is total marketing. If the two op amps are on individual die, the mismatch between channels is almost guaranteed to be much worse than a typical dual op amp where the two op amps go through the entire fabrication process immediately adjacent to each other on the wafer.

I really don't see channel separation as being a good enough reason to fabricate a dual op amp this way. In my opinion, its more likely that they plan to release single op amp versions of these parts. By using this strategy, they don't have to pay the engineering cost to re-layout the die, they can use the same die for the dual and single versions.

My immediate reaction was that if channel separation is that important, one can simply use two single opamps and completely separated circuits for left and right channels. I built one of my preamps using two NE5534.

Exactly! Why not just use two singles?!

I would be very interested to see a plot of the THD+N for different source impedances for the MUSES02. Maintaining low distortion with high source impedance requires some special attention in the IC design for JFET input amplifiers.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
"Marketing starategy"

People become curious why expensive, like you so you can look at the hyped datasheet and see the very very beeeeest op-amp that the world has ever seen...

just like movies...actors are sensationalized to promote the movie they are in....

That, and low volume. Even the 5534 would be un-affordable if they would only sell a few 1000 per year.

Jan

JRC has chosen to wrap the die of each chip in a very rare silk thread only made in a small farm in Hokkaido. This accounts for their astounding sonic signature and increase in fiscal depletion of truly dedicated audiophools using them.

a japanese friend of mine said than :

"The silk thread is made by 30 years old Virgin Muses whom only eat Kobe beef, then are blessed in Greece after a Master in Harp playing for a better mature product! Education costs a lot ! Some even say than the oaps are brushed with beers while leads are sharpened by Fugu cooker Masters !

But mostly: due to a crisis to find ethiopian eunuchs for the quality control with the virgins production benchs, the prices as the panties have been soaring"

I believe him as he stoped to drink sake !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.