Switch both sides of input connections?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I am contemplating an integrated preamp build - so much so that I've started flushing out a schematic. When I got to the input select switch (this will be a five-position rotary switch), it occurred to me that if I simply switch the signal side of the five sets of RCA input jacks, the shield connections to each of the five connected sources would be always-connected to preamp ground. If there happen to be two or more audio sources connected with 3-prong AC cords, this approach will most certainly cause ground loops, and possibly hum.

Is it common practice to switch both sides of the RCA input jacks? This would require a four-deck, five-position rotary switch for both left and right channels.

Many thanks,
Lou

Joined 2011
Hi All,

I am contemplating an integrated preamp build - so much so that I've started flushing out a schematic. When I got to the input select switch (this will be a five-position rotary switch), it occurred to me that if I simply switch the signal side of the five sets of RCA input jacks, the shield connections to each of the five connected sources would be always-connected to preamp ground. If there happen to be two or more audio sources connected with 3-prong AC cords, this approach will most certainly cause ground loops, and possibly hum.

Is it common practice to switch both sides of the RCA input jacks? This would require a four-deck, five-position rotary switch for both left and right channels.

Many thanks,
Lou

It's not common, but is still a good idea, and is simple with relays. Some use a single 10 Ohm resistor per channel
from all the input RCA shells (except phono) to ground to reduce ground loop noise. Some even do this with the power amplifier inputs.

Last edited:
Thanks, rayma. It looks like a four-deck, five-position rotary switch would be pushing a hundred bucks. I image I can buy five 2-form-A reed relays for a bunch less than that. Not to mention I can also have panel LED's to indicate which input is selected for just the cost of the LED's, whereas, I'd need a sixth deck on the rotary switch to do it without relays. That would push the already-exorbitant rotary switch up to the next price tier.

Thank you for your advice!
Lou

Joined 2004
Paid Member
JazzGuitarGimp:

I'm not well-versed in this, but why would you need so many decks? I would think a two deck switch would be adequate -- one for the LEDs and one for all of the relays. In other words, why couldn't you connect two DPDT relays to each position on one deck of the switch? A DPDT relay could handle both signal and ground for a single channel, so two would be needed per source.

Just wonderin',
Scott

Hi Scott,

First, I apologize as I misspoke. I should have said I would need a fifth deck, not a sixth deck - and this assumes I would be doing this without relays AND using LED's to indicate which input is selected. So deck 1 for left signal, deck 2 for left ground, deck 3 for LED's, deck 4 for right ground, and deck 5 for right signal.

However, a SPDT relay could be used to switch each input (both signal and ground) to the input of the line-stage amp. And assuming I would be running the relay coils on DC, and assuming I am not missing something, I don't see any reason why I could not use the same deck to switch the LED's, just by wiring each LED and its series current-limit resistor in parallel with the relay coil (as well as a back-EMF diode). So, just one deck and five relays to do it all.

Cheers,
Lou

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.