Would like some help with a "Crossover Isolator"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

i've been planning on building an analog dj mixer for a change. I've build various midi mixers, but like to get back to analog mixing. Buying is an option but not the fun route so that's why.

the E&S DJR 400 has caught my eye and the basic volume mixing wouldn't be a problem, an active 2 band EQ is not that hard either.

The problem would be building the Isolator. I've been searching all day but can't find any proper schematic with explanation.

Could one of you guys point me in the right direction?

here is a link to the example mixer

Attachments

• e-s-djr-400-416304.jpg
    e-s-djr-400-416304.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 205
What your loking for in your "Isolator" is usually called a 3 way cross over, made out of blocks of circuit called filters. In this case it will be at line level and you already have power in the box so it will probably be what is called a "3 way active cross over", searchign for thsi will probably though up many hits. You might want to look at a blanaced or transformer output stage to prevent the earths of each amp comign into contact. (Maybe that is why the marketing blurb calls it an isolator)

What your loking for in your "Isolator" is usually called a 3 way cross over, made out of blocks of circuit called filters. In this case it will be at line level and you already have power in the box so it will probably be what is called a "3 way active cross over", searchign for thsi will probably though up many hits. You might want to look at a blanaced or transformer output stage to prevent the earths of each amp comign into contact. (Maybe that is why the marketing blurb calls it an isolator)

Thanks, so it seems the "isolator" being used in the example mixer is something like a 3-Way Linkwitz Riley Crossover. Like here. I've summarized the link and copy paste the schematics together in the attachment.

Attachments

• isolator.png
    isolator.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 269
If you decide you rearly want this integrated into a mixer, yes, but with seperate outputs for each section of your 3-Way Linkwitz Riley Crossover.

For pro applications I would definately go with balanced audio inputs and outputs, so earth loops are not an issue on the road.

it's a dj mixer so why would I want separate lo/mid/hi outputs?

I was thinking of it like this:

input1 -> volume -> low/high eq -> gain -> cross over filter -> main volume -> main out
input2 -> volume -> low/high eq -> gain -^
input3 -> volume -> low/high eq -> gain -^
input4 -> volume -> low/high eq -> gain -^

And as there was no use for it before I'm only now learning about balanced and unbalanced...

i've been searching g**gle images for the past hour with no satisfying results... could you point to a 3-way cross over filter using balanced in and output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.