crossover / summer for "2.1" active or passive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i wanna take a 2 channel L/R stereo source and have it feed 3 amps:
Left, Right and Subwoofer.
Im thinking of crossing over at around 100hz.
which would be easier (minimal components) passive or active?
and how do i take the Left ant Right and summ them up to feed the sub amp?

Hi, passive & easy is like this in my screenie.

Active requires an OpAmp/Components/Supply/Case

I'm presuming the SubAmp has a 100Hz etc filter in it ? If not, then more is needed for either solutions.

Attachments

• 3 Amp.png
    3 Amp.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 158
Do you have the Sub Amp yet ? If not try & get one with a Xover built in. Also look for one which has L & R inputs which are merged internally. That way problem solved !

Active means any powered circuit, which in this case would be the OpAmp solution. Passive means unpowered, which could be before and/or after the Amp.

EDIT

Of course you would need a high pass filter for the L & R too, which matches the 100Hz etc low pass !

Last edited:
A two pole LC filter has both real and imaginary components for its two poles, thus giving an extra degree of freedom - damping (or its inverse, Q). The damping is provided by the losses (ESRs of caps and inductors) plus any explicit resistance in the circuit (for example - the load). Chebyshev filters have the lowest damping (or highest Q), then Butterworth; Bessel has the highest (lowest Q).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.