crossover / summer for "2.1" active or passive - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2014, 07:33 PM   #1
Ensoniq is offline Ensoniq  United States
diyAudio Member

Default crossover / summer for "2.1" active or passive

i wanna take a 2 channel L/R stereo source and have it feed 3 amps:
Left, Right and Subwoofer.
Im thinking of crossing over at around 100hz.
which would be easier (minimal components) passive or active?
and how do i take the Left ant Right and summ them up to feed the sub amp?
Old 9th September 2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, passive & easy is like this in my screenie.

Active requires an OpAmp/Components/Supply/Case

I'm presuming the SubAmp has a 100Hz etc filter in it ? If not, then more is needed for either solutions.
Attached Images
File Type: png 3 Amp.png (3.7 KB, 80 views)
Old 9th September 2014, 09:17 PM   #3
Ensoniq is offline Ensoniq  United States
diyAudio Member

No i don't have crossover yet.

Btw, active means before amp and passive means after amp correct ?
Old 9th September 2014, 09:18 PM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Reducing input caps on the L+R stereo amplifier an idea.

rgds, sreten.
Old 10th September 2014, 02:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Do you have the Sub Amp yet ? If not try & get one with a Xover built in. Also look for one which has L & R inputs which are merged internally. That way problem solved !

Active means any powered circuit, which in this case would be the OpAmp solution. Passive means unpowered, which could be before and/or after the Amp.

EDIT

Of course you would need a high pass filter for the L & R too, which matches the 100Hz etc low pass !

Last edited by Zero D; 10th September 2014 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10th September 2014, 02:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Passive is fewest components and normally sounds best. However a passive XO at 100Hz is going to call for some fairly huge inductors (in the range of 10H) to operate at line level. Probably you'll have to wind them yourself (on gapped ferrite cores) which will take a couple of hours for each.

You could employ the design resource here - Passive Crossover Design Equations Formulas Calculator - Two Way Second Order Network Chebychev Bessel Butterworth Linkwitz-Riley
Old 10th September 2014, 02:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

@ abraxalito

When you say "Line Level" i expect you actually mean output from the Sub Amp, not PreAmp output Line Level. We don't want to confuse the OP

For eg only, a single 10k resistor & a 0.159uf capacitor before the Sub Amp = 100Hz cutoff.
Old 10th September 2014, 03:35 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
No, I was really meaning line-level - or I'd have written 'speaker level'

Yes you can do a first order LP without inductors but I was assuming the OP would want a bit more than a first order.
Old 11th September 2014, 03:58 PM   #9
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

post6 link to a passive crossover calculator.

It shows a 2pole crossover consisting of only one capacitor and one inductor in each filter.

How can the roll-off characteristic be changed through the continuum of Linkwitz, Bessel, Butterworth, Chebychev?
Old 12th September 2014, 12:56 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

By choosing the component values listed under those particular headings. Each of them is a different trade-off between passband flatness, steepness of roll-off, and phase response.

Hide this!Advertise here!