Digital volume control for 7.1 preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to build a 7.1 preamp pretty soon, which I have not done before, and I was curious about the volume control mechanism used in these type of preamps.

Do they just use digital pots, and control these pots with some kind of ucontroller with memory (to store pot value after power down).

Such as this 2 of these (for 7.1):

http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD5253_5254.pdf

Along with ucontrollers and push button (volume up and volume down) or a remote?

You could use 4 PGA2310/2311 if you want to control the volume of each channel independently.
The PGA is a stereo volume controller that can also act as a (simple) preamplifier since can set the volume level from -95 to +31 dB in step of 0.5 dB.
I'm currently using it with my "digitally controlled" preamp but you need a microcontroller to "dialog" with the PGA.

Regards,

Roberto

I designed a USB mixer with the control pots on the PC screen.
I used Microchip digital pots.
Be aware that these pots need biasing correctly or you will get masses of distortion.
The Microchip pots need biasing at 2V5.
I also had fun with grounding on the mixer. The first pcb revision was rubbish with 1 volt hum on output. I had to complete separate power supply and audio grounds and only join them once at pcb edge where the power came in. This time the hum was negligible.

I used a 18f4550 PIC micro with USB and lots of I/O pins to drive the 6 digital pots.
They are quite easy to drive just being serial I/O.

Here is another discussion with lots of info and ideas on what parts are available to you that may help,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...-control-open-source-project.html#post3764438

I have been planning such a project myself and I have been collecting Digital pots and switches for it for quite sometime now.

I have the several different PIC's including the PIC18F4550 as well.

In case that any one has not seen the latest here is a set of online courses and webinar's that Microchip has just started on July 1, 2014 for those of whom want to get in on learning to work with the PIC controllers.
I have been in on a few of these and they are great live classes and they are free!!!!

Online Training Calendar - Developer Help

Nigel, I would be interested in seeing any data or tricks you care to share on the interesting project you have done as well.
As I am just starting at PIC programming and interfacing with SPI and I2C
I will be following this project with great interest,Thanks!!

Cheers!!

jer :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.