Passive low pass filter for subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I am a noob concerning DIY audio, but I'd really like to understand this part. I have made a DIY speaker set connected to a TA2024 amplifier and I added a subwoofer to this. I want to put a passive first order low pass filter on this subwoofer. How do I exactly do this. I have seen some diagrams of how to connect it, but I don't understand these.

Does it need to be filtered before or after the amplifier?
Is the resistance that is spoken of in those diagrams the subwoofer or do I need an additional resistance?

Thanks!

You can add a passive Low Pass Filter before, or after, the amplifier.

An inductor alone achieves this, if the load after it is a resistance.
This can be used before, or after, the amplifier.

Alternatively, for a third choice, you can add an RC Low Pass filter before the amplifier.

Do you mean you added a subwoofer to the speaker cabinets, or are you adding an active (powered) subwoofer to your speaker set? Or are you adding a passive subwoofer to make it a 2.1 system? If you're adding an active subwoofer you can do a line level crossover (sometimes reduced to PLLXO) before the input to your amplifier to split out the low to the subwoofer.

If not powered, then you can do the above but add an amp dedicated to the subwoofer, or you can make a passive LP filter and wire it between your amp and the subwoofer + speakers. Here's an example: Subwoofer Crossover 8 Ohm 150 Hz 200W which would probably work if you are adding a single passive woofer in a cabinet to your setup.

Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.