Best wire for passive pre?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just lashed together a Stereo Coffee LDR assive pre whilst waiting for a chassis to arrive. I've used 1.5mm solid core mains cable and it sounds god, is easy to bend out of the way of each other and ok to solder. When I build it properly what type should I use, the connectors just take the solid core but I think multistrand woud need to be a finer gauge...

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Parts Connexion Connex (DH Labs made) solid silver cable is not outrageous for a minimal passive pre amp. Another good one is silver ( or sop over plated copper) wire in Teflon jacket from wire suppliers sold at Farnel etc will work well too.

Last edited:
A pre-amp can be wired with very small diameter wires, it would be more of a mechanical & handling question than a electrical one. The one exception is the circuit common/ground bus which should be larger. For inside a chassis, solid wire is better/easier to use than stranded. Tin plating is always good.

Nonsense? My understanding is that there is no evidence of copper (or silver) grain boundaries causing "irritating distortion". If they did, then people would not be able to use wire to connect up lab instrumentation or telecommunications equipment or military hardware.
It's too expensive:) for such things as military, telecommunications, etc which use miles and miles of wire. Only suitable for a niche market.

It's too expensive:) for such things as military, telecommunications, etc which use miles and miles of wire. Only suitable for a niche market.
Do you really know that the military doesn't use silver in certain critical applications? It's more impervious to corrosion than copper. It's a better conductor too. Please prove to me that the military never uses silver. Let's see your proof rather than opinion.

Last edited:
rajacat said:
Please prove to me that the military never uses silver.
I never said that the military don't use silver. I said that the military don't use special silver wire because they are worried about grain boundaries causing distortion in ordinary wire. You then claimed that they don't use silver because it costs too much. Then you changed your opinion to demand that I prove it wasn't used - which is not what I said.

The military will use silver plating where it has an advantage (e.g. some UHF or microwave cavities) just like any wise customers buying well-engineered equipment. Completely irrelevant to audio connections.

Do you really know that the military doesn't use silver in certain critical applications? It's more impervious to corrosion than copper. It's a better conductor too. Please prove to me that the military never uses silver. Let's see your proof rather than opinion.

I do and aerospace as well, the reason they use silver plated copper wire is for higher temperature range...don't know about microwaves anything I have worked on in that field has been at PCB level (copper traces).
As the signal travels outside of the wire how can grain boundaries effect the signal. Electrons do not travel very fast say 0.1mm a second and are always bumping into things, so explain how grain free copper really improves things.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.