Effects of Opamp Loading?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

Someone warned me recently about picking too small of resistor values to put into op amp buffer circuits. He cautioned against "loading" the op amp.

I don't know what that means. What would the effects of that translate to in an audio circuit? Increased THD, clipping or something like that?

you have to know a part's limitations - how to read datasheets - and how to interpret them

better datasheets for op amps will have several numbers and/or plots showing how much current/how heavy a load they drive, how close the power supply V...

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi guys,

Someone warned me recently about picking too small of resistor values to put into op amp buffer circuits. He cautioned against "loading" the op amp.

I don't know what that means. What would the effects of that translate to in an audio circuit? Increased THD, clipping or something like that?

^ As the replies above.

You have to remember that the feedback network is driven by the opamp. Like most things, its a compromise. An LM4562 (for example) is OK down to 600 ohm loading and so it makes sense to keep the networks low-ish to minimise noise contribution (thermal and stray pickup). So values in the 2 to 5k range would be ideal. Use a more weedy device like a TL072 and values around 10k make more sense. Any higher and you run into issues with noise and stray pickup.

Loading is the amount of resistance ( impedance ) the output has to drive. The lower the resistance the higher the load because it takes more current( power) to keep the voltage the same. The opamp spec should tell you the max current it can provide. Ideally you should stay well below this.

The short circuit current should not be used as a "maximum current" guide.

Instead look at the plot of: output voltage vs output load. You will see a kink where the available maximum output voltage drops off as the output load reduces.
That gives a very good guide to the maximum usable output current.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.