Attenuator for Passive pre amp, best sounding solution

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just took an autoformer and measured 121 hy's of inductance.

applied 100ma of DC current.

removed current and measured 121 hy's of inductance.

No damage done.

dave

Hi Dave,
The duration of the applied DC current may affect the possibility of core magnetization.
When the core is magnetized, a possible solution is to drive it for a while with high current (within the transformer's specifications) at 50 or 60Hz, if possible, even at lower frequency.

How to know the core is magnetized?

You'd probably note attenuation of the low frequencies.
If in doubt, attach to the core a ferromagnetic object, like a screwdriver (a non-magnetized one) and see is it is being attracted to the core.
The 'scientific', or engineering, way is to measure the transformer's inductance and see if it's as it should be, according to the manufacturer's figure.

I own TVC Intact Audio bought to Thomas Mayer, Thomas said that to sound good TVC needs low source impedance, the question is: how many ohms are the maximum required 300, 600 etc?

There aren't fixed figures that I'm aware of.
TVC or IVC may sound superb, or it may sound bad, depending on its' compatibility with any given setup; mainly the output impedance of the source(s) and the input impedance of the power amp. The compatibility to a given setup also depends on the transformer's inductance, the output level of the source(s) and the gain of the power amp.
I know of no safe way to ensure compatibility, other than to test it on one's setup, prior to actually purchasing it.
However, once the TVC or IVC is compatible with a given setup, it may sound better than any active preamp.

Since you own one, you should know how it does sound in your setup.

I guess like I do with resistors: using cold signal in place of gnd, so gnd not connected at TVC: input gnd connected directly to output gnd.

I'm not sure if it can be done with resistors.

The IVC I own is a SE one. All my sources are SE, while the power amp have both SE and balanced inputs; it sounds better when connected to the balanced input.

I converted the IVC's SE output to balanced by attaching a Lundahl line level transformer to the output of the IVC. Actually I use the transformer as an autotransformer, with half of the primary windings connected in series with half of the secondary windings as one section and the other halves as the second section. It sounds better than connecting the IVC without a transformer to the power amp's SE inputs.

That it sounds better this way on my setup may not necessarily be so on other setups.

If there is/are balanced source(s), the above wouldn't be applicable. In such a case it is necessary to use a balanced TVC or IVC, possibly with a transformer to convert the SE output of those source(s) that are only SE ones, to balanced.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thomas is right sounds better with low impedance sources, for example Legato I/V SE outputs have an output impedance near 0 ohms and sounds superb but when I use Valve Itch MM phono pre with an output impedance of 800 ohms sounds better a ladder switch of resistors.

My cores aren't magnetized & measured inductance is ok: 20H

Thomas is right sounds better with low impedance sources, for example Legato I/V SE outputs have an output impedance near 0 ohms and sounds superb but when I use Valve Itch MM phono pre with an output impedance of 800 ohms sounds better a ladder switch of resistors.

My cores aren't magnetized & measured inductance is ok: 20H

So you got your answers.
Indeed, 800 ohms output impedance is too high, at least in your setup, with your power amp's input impedance. 800 ohms output impedance may be too high in most setups.

It can be done I use it with Shallco switches in my All fet balanced Borbely preamp. The only issue is that you don't have mute/silence in the first position.

The TVC or IVC is supposed to replace the preamp. I see no point in using both of them.
In any case, mute/silence can be attained with a dedicated witch.

For balanced in to balanced out, you need either balanced TVC or IVC, or, with SE TVC or IVC, two suitable transformers, one at the input and one at the output.
The sound quality will depend on both the quality of the TVC or IVC and on the quality of the transformers used to convert SE to balanced.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.