Attenuator for Passive pre amp, best sounding solution - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2014, 03:27 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
Thomas is right sounds better with low impedance sources, for example Legato I/V SE outputs have an output impedance near 0 ohms and sounds superb but when I use Valve Itch MM phono pre with an output impedance of 800 ohms sounds better a ladder switch of resistors.

My cores aren't magnetized & measured inductance is ok: 20H
So you got your answers.
Indeed, 800 ohms output impedance is too high, at least in your setup, with your power amp's input impedance. 800 ohms output impedance may be too high in most setups.

Quote:
It can be done I use it with Shallco switches in my All fet balanced Borbely preamp. The only issue is that you don't have mute/silence in the first position.
The TVC or IVC is supposed to replace the preamp. I see no point in using both of them.
In any case, mute/silence can be attained with a dedicated witch.

For balanced in to balanced out, you need either balanced TVC or IVC, or, with SE TVC or IVC, two suitable transformers, one at the input and one at the output.
The sound quality will depend on both the quality of the TVC or IVC and on the quality of the transformers used to convert SE to balanced.
Old 18th May 2014, 03:29 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I guess like I do with resistors: using cold signal in place of gnd, so gnd not connected at TVC: input gnd connected directly to output gnd.
Input and output ground are the same point on an autoformer.

dave
Old 18th May 2014, 03:51 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave I done like you said for SE.
Old 14th August 2014, 09:08 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Let me repeat UMarcus' question on the Sowter transformer - I'm also curious...
Someone has experience with the Swoter Transformator [URL="http://www.sowter.co.uk/transformer-attenuators.php"]here ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hide this!Advertise here!