Mic Preamp limitor/Automatic level controller

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

I am trying to include either a limiter or an automatic volume control section to my INA217 based mic preamp. However, I'm not quite sure if the circuit shown below would be as good to use as the Phil Allison Fast Limiter circuit published in the Rod Elliot's site! However, I'd change the opamps TL071/2
to OPA123/2132.

AVC Automatic Volume Control Circuit

Fast Audio Peak Limiter

I like the circuit below for it's apparent simplicity, design wise!

All comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Attachments

• automatic-volume-control-schematic.gif
    automatic-volume-control-schematic.gif
    66.9 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Where did you find that? That is a simple and interesting circuit. It could be especially useful just ahead of a subwoofer amplifier.

Thanks Mickeymoose,...I'll have a look.

I found it here;
http://www.seekic.com/circuit_diagram/Audio_Circuit/Low_distortion_audio_gain_limiter.html

If the above link doesn't work then just write: Limiter circuits/seekic.com

Do you think this schematic could be used/modified in the input or output stage of a mic preamp?

Cheers

Last edited:
Yes but it would not have a lot of finesse. The 'One Knob Squeezer' that has already been mentioned is a much better choice for what you are looking to do.

Yes, you're absolutely right! I will prototype it & see how it works. My only reservations are the cost of 4301s for 8 channels & some of the component values, which are akin to figures found on bottles for medcines!Lol!

Thank you indeed Mickey Moose for pointing me in the right direction.

Deviating a little, I lifted this very interesting circuit from another forum. This schematic was originally published in the Swedish magazine called "MusikerMagazine" in 2006. Unfortunately, I couldn't locate the article, yet luckily, the circuit is still available!

This circuit is supposed to be wired at the mic ch. input before the mic preamp input buffer!

Fig.1: INGÅNG=input , UTGÅNG= output

Fig.2;
Green line = Dynamic Mic alone
Blue ine = Condenser Mic alone
Red line = Condenser + limiter in

Fig.3
Red signal = DPA 4011 Direct
Green signal DPA4011 with the Limiter

Attachments

• xlr_limiter_schematic.jpg
    xlr_limiter_schematic.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Limiter Graph.jpg
    Limiter Graph.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 243
  • dpa_transientresponse.jpg
    dpa_transientresponse.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
I have now spent the best part over a week reading & researching on compressors & limiters & have decided that a limiter only implementation in the mic pre would be the best way to go. I hope you guys would bear with me & read on.

My prime concern is to physically prevent spurious peak signals destroying my pc sound card & maintain constant signal levels at the same time.

I also feel that the full blown compressor/limiter in the mic-pre will be an overkill, since I already have a few excellent VST plugins of both modern & vintage compressors in my DAW! Many of these sound exceptionally good & are very effective as their respective hardware counterpart units i.m.h.o!

Using the THAT 4301 just for the "One Knob Squeezer" would be rather expensive for me, since these cost $8-$10/ piece. According to the THAT 4301 data, to obtain those low distortion & noise figures one has to use the trimmed circuit component values or else it would only give an average performance, both noise & distortion wise.

I came across these 2 limiter circuits which look promising for my exact need for a limiter. However, I am not good at "disiphering" circuits, so really would appreciate any help if you guys could give your opinion on these two & any possible mods which to improve these even further.

Thanks

Audio limiter

Was ist ein OTA? (Dynamiklimiter mit OTA LM13700, LM13600, CA3080, transconductance-amplifier, agc-amplifier)

Attachments

• NE572 Limiter.jpg
    NE572 Limiter.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 241
  • otalim03.gif
    otalim03.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.