Muting Circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I want to add a muting circuit to my line outputs. However I don't have any mute control, it just needs to do it automatically so I was thinking of a circuit like this one. The idea being that the PNP transistor will connect the signal line to ground when there is no voltage on the base and it will break the connection when there is voltage. There is an RC network on the base so that it comes up slowly when voltage is applied, but when the voltage is taken away it will de-charge very quickly through the diode.

However, I've no idea what parts and values to actually use. Can anyone help please? Also I'm not really confident that it will mute fast enough when the power is disconnected to stop switch-off thump. The output op-amps will be running on that same power line.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Normally NPN devices are used, the 2SC2878 being a typical example (most devices would work but this is specially for the job).

A problem with your circuit is that +15 volts will exceed the E-B reverse breakdown voltage of the transistor... it will behave as a noisy zener of around 7 volts or so. So your control voltage needs to be limited.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I would assume so.

Seeing reverse hFE mentioned is unusual but seeing as bjt transistors can work either way around at low voltages, I suppose this figure means it can still turn on and mute effectively when the output signal reverses polarity and the transistor is reverse biased in the conventional sense.

Check this out.

Another mute circuit, I believe it is from a CD player.

Attachments

• Mute Circuit.jpg
    Mute Circuit.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 639
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
They would only mute for as long as the mute voltage was present. So in the example nnx posted, the mute line would need to be at plus 5 volts (the 2k2 resistors would be transistor specific and might be much higher than that device depending) to mute and need to go to -5 volts to unmute. Other control voltages outside those limits wouldn't work.

Have you room to hard wire a miniature relay right at the sockets ? It would be arranged to short the output to ground (default unpowered relay state) at all times except when the unit was on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.