Salas hotrodded DCB1 resistor tryouts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Scorpion,

God bless you!

I can hardly explain how much I've enjoyed reading this thread! I admire your determination, will and enthusiasm. As your priceless richly informative helpfulness to the other members. You have my biggest gratitude for the things I've learned so far and I will follow your thread with a great desire!

If you have the wish to try, I may be able to provide you with some NOS Philips MF 220k.
Judging from your reviews, I think my next purchase for my SET will be Rikens.
I currently have Ohmite CC, Draloric MF and Philips MF in it.

Best regards and I wish you much health!
Alexander.

Just a note that the Audionote tantulums (if 1/2 watt) are slightly metallic. They are bring out one that are non metallic, similar to the 2W non-metallic range, Latest estimate of timescale is late November/ early December.
Maybe that will cure the slight fuzz Scorpion mentioned.
I'm interested in this as I can't find a source of the Rikens in the right value in the UK.

Scorpion, Best of luck with your health issues.

does the sound of a resistor carry on through the chain?

lets start by putting a very dull and closed in sounding resistor right at the beginning, would the rest of the following resistors start with the first resistors sonic signature and carry on getting steadily worse with the more you add of the same?

or staring with the cleanest and open sounding resistor then add a dull half way then clean ones again. would the end result be the sound signature of the dull resistor?

if one resistor sounds different to another then they must filter something or Scorpion would not hear a difference swapping out one make/type for another.

i'm not being negative i'm asking a question as i'm interested and if my terminology is not correct then thats because i'm not a hifi journalist with a book of buzz words.

cdbd, if you know why different resistors sound different without 'filtering' something then by all means please explain in laymen's terms as i'm a bit thick.

Filter is perhaps too strong a term. Here is a better "buzzword": flavor. Resistors of different compositions (made with different materials or using different mechanical arrangements to achieve resistance) definitely have different sounds and contribute differently to the total system sound, despite having exactly the same value and function in the circuit.

There are some people, such as Scorpion, who realize this, and some who don't. One cannot be converted to, or sometimes even made to understand, the other. Both views are valid, but the ones who don't get it will never leave the other ones alone, and never accept the validity of their opinions. To them, if any characteristic of an audio system cannot be measured, it simply doesn't exist.

Peace,
Tom E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.