Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

The Kuartlotron - keantoken's simple error-correction superbuffer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2017, 05:29 PM   #871
hkknudsen is offline hkknudsen
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
I would say go slightly above.
Thanks Kean, would you say the Kuartlotron is sensitive to variations in voltage? Is 9V significantly worse than 10V or is it barely detectable? Sorry if repeating myself

Asking as I've been a bit deluded by battery sellers; with lifepo4 only 9.6V nominal (should be possible to keep between 9.9 fully charged and 9.3) or 12.8V is possible
Old 29th November 2017, 01:03 AM   #872
Destroyer OS is offline Destroyer OS
diyAudio Member

Keantoken said some people thought high voltage didn't sound as good. I forget what mine is at but it's well above 10v, and there are zero issues with it.

I personally doubt you can tell the difference. If you understand how the circuit works to some degree you start to see how the DC voltage really just needs to be enough to divide into 4ish and be at the vrms output of the source; and how the input and output of the signal doesn't really care what the DC voltage is at all. The claim is sonic attributes, not function, with increasing voltage.

I'd go with a 12/12.8v battery personally. Batteries often insta-sag to a little less voltage if they are not rather big compared to the current demand, and I wouldn't want to have my buffer clipping after playing for a short time if I had a hot source.
Old 29th November 2017, 04:33 AM   #873
keantoken is offline keantoken  United States
diyAudio Member

9.3-9.9 is close enough to 10V, I would just use that and take advantage of the longer battery life.
Old 29th November 2017, 09:37 PM   #874
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
9.3-9.9 is close enough to 10V, I would just use that and take advantage of the longer battery life.
Thanks a lot both. I think I will go for the flexible solution with single batteries + bms'es instead of finished packages, that way I can change the voltage by adding/removing a battery if I want. Probably something like 6pcs of 32650, should be dimensioned on the very generous side and provide power for hundreds of hours without the regulators. Will let know how it goes. Destroyer are you saying that the voltage/4 just needs to be above the source's output? My output is 2.1Vrms, so I hope it'll be fine

Last edited by hkknudsen; 29th November 2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 29th November 2017, 11:05 PM   #875
Destroyer OS is offline Destroyer OS
diyAudio Member

That would be the ideal, but I don't think anyone has noticed a problem. The circuit eats some voltage too, not just the division.
Old 20th December 2017, 02:25 PM   #876
diyAudio Member

Absolutely loving the Kuartlotron. However my amp already has DC blocking caps, so I guess I could short the output capacitors in the K. But - which ones are that again?;-)

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th December 2017, 04:03 PM   #877
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
nhinstruments
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkknudsen View Post
Absolutely loving the Kuartlotron. However my amp already has DC blocking caps, so I guess I could short the output capacitors in the K. But - which ones are that again?;-)

Click the image to open in full size.
there are no DC blocking caps in this buffer
Old 20th December 2017, 04:23 PM   #878
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCruz View Post
there are no DC blocking caps in this buffer
Thanks Ricardo, I must have misunderstood a post in the thread at some point. But guess it was a good decision to ask before I shorted them then
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:39 AM   #879
keantoken is offline keantoken  United States
diyAudio Member

Some of you may have noticed that the transistors in the Mouser BOM have changed to OnSemi. This is because Fairchild was acquired by OnSemi and the Fairchild listings were renamed to OnSemi. It is highly probable they are still the Fairchild parts, just under new branding.

If anyone has trouble, let me know.
Old 10th January 2018, 01:50 PM   #880
darbost is offline darbost  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi
I just finished assemble a pair of boards and now im setting the trimpots according to instruction. First step I managed to get 5v at TP by adjusting R5. But I have trouble on the second step. I cant get a steady 0V on the input. What i mean by steady is when adjust the dc trim i can make it 0V but after that it will go down to -0.1, -0.2, -0.3 and so on until -2.1mV where i gave up waiting for it. Output offset is about 10mV.
I can get 0V on output but on the input it will be wayoff from 0V. Could someone please tell me what i have done wrong?
All parts are according to BOM, soldering joints are ok, caps polarity is also ok. Powered them with a small smps with an output +11.94v and -12.15v.

The Kuartlotron - keantoken's simple error-correction superbufferHide this!Advertise here!