Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

The Kuartlotron - keantoken's simple error-correction superbuffer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2015, 07:27 PM   #501
keantoken is offline keantoken  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks good so far even with an IRF510, which makes it far faster. I was using the wrong lytic in my simulation. The 1MHz resonance also seems to be from the SMPS.
Old 3rd September 2015, 08:16 PM   #502
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
I just threw one together on the breadboard. I just happened to have a single IRF630. Testing with an SMPS at ~75mA I see resonances at 20MHz (seems to be from the SMPS) and 1MHz.
IRF9630 it could use, not IRF630, thats for the negative polarity. Termination lytic should not be low ESR.
Old 3rd September 2015, 08:25 PM   #503
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Looks good so far even with an IRF510, which makes it far faster. I was using the wrong lytic in my simulation. The 1MHz resonance also seems to be from the SMPS.
No problem pretty soon then and its just makeshift. You will test again in your prototype PCB layout. My sim gives 133 deg phase margin at gain=0dB open loop analysis with the original TO-247s and 0.3R ESR 5nH ESL assumed terminal cap parasitics. It never resonated on its dedicated board. Try use no wimpy MOSFET if you will leave it open to user hot-rod. You will sort it out, no worries.
Old 6th September 2015, 10:47 AM   #504
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Project16's "all in one" posts moved here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analo...onception.html
Old 6th September 2015, 11:03 AM   #505
Project16 is offline Project16  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
Project16's "all in one" posts moved here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analo...onception.html
Many thank's wintermute!
Old 10th September 2015, 04:46 AM   #506
diyAudio Member

The IRF510 can handle at least 20W. The main thermal hazard is not FET power, but inadequate sinking, which will be equally destructive for IRF510 and IRF240. Considering this I don't see a point in using TO-247 devices. They are slower and probably not even more stable than the IRF510. With good sinking the IRF510 in this design can handle more than 1A of current.
Old 10th September 2015, 05:49 AM   #507
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The Lego piece you can use has been tested and proven to work OK.You have permission of the author to use his tested and working design. Why loose time questioning the size of the original parts ? The MOSFETs are not expensive and with TO247 you won't need heatsinks with low current. You could click this Lego piece on your Lego piece and test and measure. Maybe it is because I am a builder and have never simulated anything but things seem to delay without necessity. Sorry but, as said before, IMO focus should be on completing this design to a complete working device that can be used in 99% of cases in everyday life. For this reason I will focus on Project16's design. Good luck with the project, the topology is promising.

Last edited by jean-paul; 10th September 2015 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10th September 2015, 06:24 PM   #508
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
The IRF510 can handle at least 20W. The main thermal hazard is not FET power, but inadequate sinking, which will be equally destructive for IRF510 and IRF240. Considering this I don't see a point in using TO-247 devices. They are slower and probably not even more stable than the IRF510. With good sinking the IRF510 in this design can handle more than 1A of current.
As I wrote, the topology lends itself to various devices substitution. If you will decide a fixed constant current then you can pre-package the thermal policy too. If left open to user hot-rod it must be taken into account that the bigger MOSFET has much better RθJC, RθJA, RθCS. Constant current power dissipation is not giving cooling breaks, its not lending itself to the pulsed rating spec of a device. I.e. the power spec gets derated and then again for long life reliability. There is no rule you should leave it open to user hot-rod. You may as well optimize a level. Your choice.
Old 10th September 2015, 06:34 PM   #509
diyAudio Member

If there is any significant pulsing in a shunt regulator, then it's already broken. It is straightforward to set operating points according to thermal limits. Am I missing something? A drain resistor should be enough to prevent FET destruction in the prototype.
Old 10th September 2015, 07:15 PM   #510
diyAudio Chief Moderator

The SOA curves for power MOSFETS are usually given in pulsed current durations since they are made for switching applications primarily in mind. Thus their constant power abilities should not be based on their 25C case temperature pulsed current spec in the data sheet. That's what I am saying.

The Kuartlotron - keantoken's simple error-correction superbufferHide this!Advertise here!