DBX Active Crossover - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2013, 01:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DBX Active Crossover

I have a pair of Mark Audio A12s, I want to add a set of mid-bass modules in a ported enclosure. That is all well and good but I don't want to lose my 100% analog signal path. Is the dvx or similar active crossover a good approach to go?

Any recommendations?
Old 18th December 2013, 02:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Marchand make a passive line-level crossover. That's likely to be more transparent than an active XO. You'd need a decent drive capability for it though as it presents about 1kohm impedance.
Old 18th December 2013, 03:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

not if you don't want to lose your 100 % analog signal path.
besides the dbx driverack(system controller) is a line level device (as in ahead of amp) or is bi or tri-amping something you want to try?
Old 18th December 2013, 12:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Bi-Amp: Yes, I want to pull the low frequency workload off of my primary amp which only has 4 watts. It is a Decware Mini Torii.

So essentially the Mini Torii would power the Mark Audios from 150 up and then a different power amp to power the woofers.

I was thinking of these: Dayton Audio RS180-4 7" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm | 295-374

The woofers would be in a 1.33 ft.3 rear ported enclosure and should reach 35 @ -3 dB. They have a very smooth curve and it should and remain flat.

Then the Marks would be moved out of the Super Pensils to an 8 liter sealed enclosure which will hit 100 Hz @ -3 dB.

Essentially I imagine these looking as if they are a single cabinet but in reality they are two separate enclosures. The reason for the XO is because I want to be able to adjust the setup and relieve the tube amp from the low freq duties. The main reason for this is a XO would rob what little power I have going to the speakers.

Currently looking at this Active XO: Ashly XR1001 | Sweetwater.com
Attached Images
File Type: png Dayton+Marks.png (39.1 KB, 211 views)
Old 18th December 2013, 12:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

what sort of amp are you thinking for the sub?
Old 18th December 2013, 08:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
what sort of amp are you thinking for the sub?
I am open to options for the amp to power the woofers, ideally something clean and powerful but my Mini Torii is doing most of the heavy lifting and providing most of the voice characteristics of the frequency range.

I just need the bass extension. I am not listening to hard rock or anything crazy here just some Jazz, Blues, and occasional Van Morrison/Neil Young etc.

I was thinking about the Dayton APA150 or similar, 75 WPC @ 4 ohms.
Old 18th December 2013, 08:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Side Note: The Mini Torii can function just fine with 2V input or even lower... it is designed to have gain to handle even something like an iPod without issue. The XO shouldn't cause too much of an issue I don't think.
Old 18th December 2013, 09:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

the Mini Torii doesn't seem to have balanced inputs so wiring in a dbx driverack on both the input and output side is gonna mean some cable building.
what are you using for source switching?
Old 18th December 2013, 09:44 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I figure it is always worthwhile to see if a PLLXO can work. They are limited, but the simpliest can be 4 small caps & 2 Rs (and level control on at least one amp -- the one that needs to be turned down, usually the woofer amp)

dave
Old 18th December 2013, 10:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

that would certainly work and fill the"keeping it" analogue criteria!
not to mention alot cheaper than a driverack!

Hide this!Advertise here!