DBX Active Crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bi-Amp: Yes, I want to pull the low frequency workload off of my primary amp which only has 4 watts. It is a Decware Mini Torii.

So essentially the Mini Torii would power the Mark Audios from 150 up and then a different power amp to power the woofers.

I was thinking of these: Dayton Audio RS180-4 7" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm | 295-374

The woofers would be in a 1.33 ft.3 rear ported enclosure and should reach 35 @ -3 dB. They have a very smooth curve and it should and remain flat.

Then the Marks would be moved out of the Super Pensils to an 8 liter sealed enclosure which will hit 100 Hz @ -3 dB.

Essentially I imagine these looking as if they are a single cabinet but in reality they are two separate enclosures. The reason for the XO is because I want to be able to adjust the setup and relieve the tube amp from the low freq duties. The main reason for this is a XO would rob what little power I have going to the speakers.

Currently looking at this Active XO: Ashly XR1001 | Sweetwater.com

Attachments

• Dayton+Marks.png
    Dayton+Marks.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 282
what sort of amp are you thinking for the sub?

I am open to options for the amp to power the woofers, ideally something clean and powerful but my Mini Torii is doing most of the heavy lifting and providing most of the voice characteristics of the frequency range.

I just need the bass extension. I am not listening to hard rock or anything crazy here just some Jazz, Blues, and occasional Van Morrison/Neil Young etc.

I was thinking about the Dayton APA150 or similar, 75 WPC @ 4 ohms.

the Mini Torii doesn't seem to have balanced inputs so wiring in a dbx driverack on both the input and output side is gonna mean some cable building.
what are you using for source switching?

The MT has two inputs, it is a pre-amp and power amp setup as dual mono blocks.

You are correct, no balanced inputs, just single ended RCA jacks.

I was thinking of this cabling...

Turntable -> Pre-Amp -> XO >100 HZ -> MT -> A12p
-> XO <100 HZ -> ?AMP -> Woofers

Is that an improper assumption?

well my answer is tainted by the fact as an old pa guy i have a bunch of tuneable 2 and 3 way x-overs kicking around and it's not out my capability to build an active x-over.
speaking of which how familiar are you with mini dsp that might be the ticket for what your thinking of.

well my answer is tainted by the fact as an old pa guy i have a bunch of tuneable 2 and 3 way x-overs kicking around and it's not out my capability to build an active x-over.
speaking of which how familiar are you with mini dsp that might be the ticket for what your thinking of.

My brother has a miniDSP 2x4 and I have tried it, it unsurprisingly pulls all the emotion and soul out of the signal (IMHO). > Hence why I am kind of dead set on staying analog, ideally crossover-less to eliminate phasing issues etc.

Overkill? Maybe. :)

If anyone is still following this thread I am looking for some advice on pro audio analog crossovers. Specifically, I was wondering if anyone here has looked inside any of the commercially available pro audio crossovers and can comment on the quality of components and powersupply. I have been using a 2x 4th order LR that I built 20 years ago and am looking to go to a 3x. Before building another unit I though I would take a look at commercially available units but don't want something that is inferior to what I have been using in terms of quality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.