Question about speaker protection kit circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a speaker protection kit from ebay and of course it doesn't come with any literature so I have a question. These are the features is has;

The board include the regulator circuit of 7812, but the schematic hasn't been updated.

Fuctions:

With DC protection

Power-delay

Short-circuit overload

Fault protection alarm

I know how to hook up the speakers but I don't know how to hook up the short circuit protection circuit. hopefully one of you can help with that.

Thanks, Terry

Attachments

• speaker protection pic.JPG
    speaker protection pic.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 150
  • speaker protection.JPG
    speaker protection.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 155
The short circuit protection goes to the emitter of one of the NPN output transistors in your amp, assuming the amp has an EF output and a small value resistor, 0.22-ohm or so, at the emitters that functions as a current sensor for a short circuit condition.

Obviously, such a protection circuit will not fire when a short circuit happens and causes a current in the PNP arm of the output stage. This can be fixed, if possible, by lifting the 5551 emitter and the 2u2 cap joints from "L-IN", "R-IN", and connecting them to the PNP output transistor emitter of the associated channel.

Looks like I should just leave the short circuit part out. As for the ground loop, the speaker ground connections just go straight through the unit. I hooked them up because I figured that the unit needed to compare the hot to the ground in order to know if there was DC on the output. I don't hear any grounding issues.

Thanks, Terry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.