PreAmp Voltage/Impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New here so hey all.
My Pre has:
Preamp Output Level/Output Impedance 1.0 V / 250 ohms

and am jacking into a line/HiZ combo preamps that have.
Max. Level: +6.5dBV (+8.7dBu) • Input Impedance: 1.5 kOhms
Combo preamplifier with Hi-Z/line balanced input - Input Impedance: 1Mohm

Do these numbers jive for my purpose of recording?

Thanks

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
New here so hey all.
My Pre has:
Preamp Output Level/Output Impedance 1.0 V / 250 ohms

and am jacking into a line/HiZ combo preamps that have.
Max. Level: +6.5dBV (+8.7dBu) • Input Impedance: 1.5 kOhms
Combo preamplifier with Hi-Z/line balanced input - Input Impedance: 1Mohm

Do these numbers jive for my purpose of recording?

Thanks

Zout of 250 ohms into 1500 ohms of the amp will give you an attenuation of 1500/(250+1500) = 0.86. Simpel algebra. So no problem here.

The other thing is that the 1V output (which will be attenuated to 860mV as we have seen) might be too small to fully drive the combo. But whether that is a problem depends on what you want to do with the result. Do you really need full output from the combo? Into a power amp? It may come down to turning up the volume conbtrol a bit further than otherwise.
Proof the pudding.

Jan

Thanks guys, Once you know the math :)

If I may bother you further.

This Recording devise appears to use amps of different impedance. The first one mentioned 1.5k ohm at .857 (.86) And the other at 1Mohm would be .999 (1.0)

You appear to be saying the original signal would be attenuated .86db so that if I use these as a L/R configuration, one channel will be .139db louder.
Is this right?

Thanks again,

Amped Up

More Distortion Too

Studios have utilized a 600 ohm transformer based line-level interconnection standard, which was adopted from the old analog telephone network, as I recall. Most line-level loads in a home system, however, range from 20k to 100k. The very lowest such load I can recall seeing specified in a commercial product was 8.8k ohms, for the bipolar transistor input stage of an power amp.

An 1.5k ohm load is unusually low by home audio line-level interconnection standards. Unless the line driver of your source was specifically designed to drive such low impedance loads with low distortion, I suspect it would well exceed it's THD spec. there.

Well some good news, The manual listed 1.5k ohm and then listed the amps separately.
Apparently when used as line level L/R they sync at 1.5k. I recorded a record and tested against the cd and L/R levels were under .25db difference. And the CD was a remastered version so who knows.

As far as distortion, I think your right the Home Audio Equip into the Pro Audio Gear isn't suited.

Math question... when changing the Turntable Cartridge impedance from 100ohm to 200 ohm am i attenuating or amplifying? I want to say attenuating but not sure heh.

Thanks for your help and knowledge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.