Single ended to balanced conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
touche´ :clown:

There is no "signal ground" in a balanced system.

but if you use connectors for the simple SE to balanced convertion there will be a signal ground connected, no ?

he stricly said he would not consider trafos due to budget

that said ...
RCA connectors are always isolated from chassis, and for a good reason, right ?
and besides, XLR also happens to have a 4th 'pin' for chassis connection, and also for a good reason, right ?

but if you use connectors for the simple SE to balanced convertion there will be a signal ground connected, no ?
The Hot connects to the '+' input
The Return/Shield connects to the '-' input.

that said ...
RCA connectors are always isolated from chassis, and for a good reason, right ?
While we still have a large number of retro members. The RCA shell/shield does connect to the chassis.
It took 20 years to get the XLR thing correct, it will take another for the RCA connector.

and besides, XLR also happens to have a 4th 'pin' for chassis connection, and also for a good reason, right ?
Well No.
The XLR connector tab/shell is no longer connected in balanced cables. (although it may be connected in chassis connectors)

It's all about what is called the pin #1 problem (even if the connector is numbered differently)

Jim Brown discusses the problem in several papers.

Audio Systems Group, Inc. Publications

HI Andrew,
I need a Volume control for a balanced circuit,it's input will source from AK4393.
On the data sheet it recommends going from bal to SE and putting a pot there and reconverting back to bal to enter the bal amps ,In your opinion is this the best way to get a volume control in a balanced system?
Would a bal B1 do the job? I was considering it and use a switched att with matched smd's to over come mismatch of a ganged pot?
I have read about 2 v is output of AK4393 and that is enough to drive my amps,My system is bal 4 way, 2 bal F5 for highs,2 alph J's for mids,2 aleph's for bass and 2 550Wchip amps to drive 2 Xoc1's 18subs ,I have 2 Ba3's to replace those almost finished to replace chip amps.
Thanks for the links,I'll read it now.....
Thanks,
NS

Last edited:
HI Andrew,
I need a Volume control for a balanced circuit,it's input will source from AK4393.
On the data sheet it recommends going from bal to SE and putting a pot there and reconverting back to bal to enter the bal amps ,In your opinion is this the best way to get a volume control in a balanced system?
Don't bother with my opinion. Read Bruno Putzeys' article and the Thread discussing this method.
Would a bal B1 do the job? I was considering it and use a switched att with matched smd's to over come mismatch of a ganged pot?
A B1 would be nearly impossible to keep balanced. Again, read Putzeys.
I have read about 2 v is output of AK4393 and that is enough to drive my amps,My system is bal 4 way, 2 bal F5 for highs,
The F5 was never designed to be balanced. Read the F5x, or the balanced version of the F5t
2 alph J's for mids,2 aleph's for bass and 2 550Wchip amps to drive 2 Xoc1's 18subs ,I have 2 Ba3's to replace those almost finished to replace chip amps.
Thanks for the links,I'll read it now.....
Thanks,
NS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.