Tube Preamp with HT Bypass...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, I know this has been discussed on here before but I am coming at this from a bit different approach from what I found.

I want to try and design my own.

Therefore, does anyone know of any books or anything that I should look into. I have one at home currently but I want to have multiple ones to reference.

I have my design goals for what I want to do

1. HT Bypass when the unit is OFF
2. Simpler the better, Single gain stage if possible
3. Zero Feedback
4. Balanced circuit design(this may not happen first time around)
5. all XLR connections(I decided on this because you can always get adapters going to RCA but not the other way around)

I really just am very dissapointed with the HTbypass offerings by so many of these high priced offerings. Granted I have not heard them but why should I put hours on tubes when the unit is off?

Also most of the tube preamp offering that I have seen that have HT Bypass dont have XLR and as XLR seems to be used more I wanted to make sure that whatever is build is more future proof.

Single Gain Stage because I have read multiple white papers that discuss the merits of a single gain stage as well as having a zero feedback unit.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would highly appreciate it. Or even if someone has some kits they would recommend I look into I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks,
B

I have never heard of this 'HT bypass' idea. Do you just mean 'Off means Off'? That is, disconnected from the mains power supply?

'Balanced' and 'simple' pull in opposite directions. Which do you actually want?

'Zero feedback' means you can't use a cathode follower, so how are you going to get a sufficiently low output impedance? Transformers I guess - less simple.

Read Morgan Jones or visit the Valve Wizard website (Merlin Blencowe). You will learn more from these than reading 'white papers', which often just recirculate audiophile myths.

The HT Bypass idea is one where when the unit is off it does nothing to the signal of the HT Bypass input and even in the off position it allows the signal to continue on to the amps.

I am sorry, I got my words confused and said too many things yesterday, by Balanced I mean that I want the balanced inputs/outputs with XLR connectors. So I essentially said the same thing twice....that's what I get for not proof reading.

I have always been under the impression that Zero Feedback circuits did less to the audio signal than other designs. I might be wrong in this.

I look at those other websites. THanks

'Zero feedback' means you are happy to accept whatever non-linearity is intrinsic to the active devices you are using, rather than the much smaller non-linearity of resistors. Up to you. In reality many 'zero feedback' designs actually use loads of feedback but their fans don't understand electronics sufficiently well to realise this.

In most modern systems no preamp is needed. The absence of a preamp may do less to the signal than the presence of a preamp.

Ah, well then you can scrap the Zero Feedback then as well. I believe that a linear signal to be better.

I obviously have lots to learn but I am just now really getting into the preamp stuff and was "bit by the bug" when I build a Bottlehead preamp.

I want a Preamp because I am looking to have the following hooked up to it:

Turntable(phono stage)
possibly reel-to-reel tape player(I am just really curious about these)
High Quality DAC
HT Processor through HT Bypass input

I am focusing on the music side of my system first because with the rate at which HDMI changes I would much rather get something like an F5 and good preamp built for 2 channel listening and then use the Main Preouts of a receiver to the tube preamp and use the rest of the channels with the integrated amps.

So you could say that I want a good quality analog source selector in many ways.

The subwoofer will have EQ in the amp when I am done with it and I dont tend to like the effects of EQ on the higher frequencies as, with my experience atleast, it takes away from the soundstage.

I am not against taking an existing design and modifying it either and that will most likely be a far better approach for me as I continue to learn more. However, I still want to get some books so that I can study tube preamp design in my free time.

Part of my attraction to tubes is that they tend to be simpler than the transistor counterparts.

OK, thanks. Mystery solved. I think the normal term over here is AV (audio-visual), but not something I have taken much interest in.

PS just to confirm that we really are divided by a common language, I at first assumed HT mean High Tension (what you call B+) as I was sure in this context it didn't mean Handy-Talkie (what we used to call walkie-talkie and now often call a handheld transceiver). I thought the OP might be talking about some sort of standby switch, or the absence of a standby switch combined with a signal bypass.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.