Pre amplifier or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to get some advice with regards to the need for a Preamp. I'm running a Quad 606 and Sugden CD21 SE with Celestion Ditton 66's. When I bought the amp, it came with a Quad 34 preamp, but no leads. My friend said to me that with regards to HI-Fi, less is more. And he built me a passive volume control. He said that I would not need a Preamp. I thought that I would sell the 34. I do not use vinyl, so no need for phono preamp. Is he right or will I get better performance with a preamp?

Does it work OK without a preamp? Most modern systems do.

Preamps are needed for:
- very long interconnects
- low or non-linear power amp input impedance
- high or non-linear source output impedance
- tone controls
- mild effects boxes such as adding a little noise or low order distortion
If you don't need or want any of those then you don't need a preamp.

PS why post this in the Power Supples area? Line Level might be more appropriate.

Last edited:
If your source has a low enough source impedance for your amp and the output voltage is high enough to get you the volumes you want then no, a preamp is not needed.

A passive preamp usually requires that the amps input impedance is quite high though, and if it is not then a preamp / buffer might be needed instead. If this is the case but you have the max volume the easiest way is to use digital volume management, it's good enough as long as the gain structure is ok and you have a 24 bit dac.

Upgrade

Having tried the 34, I think that there is a remarked improvement, so now I would like to upgrade the 34. I'm only using the aux for my cd player though, so don't think I need a kit which would upgrade everything. Any ideas as to what the main parts are to upgrade?
Pete

Upgrade 34

As I have now tried my 34 with my system and found that I like the sound, I would like to replace parts as thought needed due to age, in the 34. What I would like to know is what parts would be worth replacing. I'm only using a CD player with my system, and am using the AUX on the 34.
Regards
Pete

The B1 is only a buffer, it may or may not cure any imbalance in impedances in your system.

The early Quads were "Current Dump" amplifiers, I'm not sure about their 606's. Quad's philosophy was for pure sound but that relies on using the ESL speakers. NAD are the same, keep everything NAD and its not too bad, mix and match and it's only mediocre.

Breaking away from Quad on a limited budget, try an Arcam 10P or even an 8P.

I was using an 8P bi-amped with B&W DM683s. I then inherited a DIY Pass Aleph 4. Now that just beats the socks off the Arcam.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.