How to split output from phono stage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Swarky is offline Swarky  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default How to split output from phono stage

I need 2 line level outputs from my phono stage : 1 for my integrated and speakers and 1 for my headphone amp ? How can I do this ? Just a daisy chain (been there) to another set of RCA terminals spoils the sound.
IŽd like to avoid using the tape out from my integrated because it sounds more processed and is not the same.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 8th September 2013, 08:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
If you use a common collector stage, splitting the outputs will keep the output impedance low.
NPN Common Collector Amplifiers
Have a look at the theory and there are a couple of useful circuits on this site.
Make the emitter resistor equal to 560R and then use 1k2 as dual feeds from each stage.
This will work nicely at line level.
Old 8th September 2013, 04:02 PM   #3
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Simply adding a second set of output terminals won't spoil the sound. What can do this is the non-linear loading of an unpowered input. You need a buffer, as Jon suggests.
Old 9th September 2013, 06:40 AM   #4
John8 is offline John8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Common collector (emitter followers) don't like to see a capacitive load, they can turn into a nice RF oscillator. It is important to ensure there is some series resistance directly on the output so that the emitter sees a resistive load.
By using a split feed this requirement will be met and there should be no problems with spurious oscillations.
Old 9th September 2013, 06:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Can a buffer be implemented using an op-amp ? Which is best ?
Old 11th September 2013, 06:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

What about a good quality switch - 1 for phones amp and 0 for main speaker system - Would this solve my problem without resorting to a buffer ? Any ideas on which switch ? Or is this a no-no ?
Old 11th September 2013, 07:06 AM   #7
John8 is offline John8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes a simple 2 pole changeover switch would be an easy solution.
I have done this for a number of applications with no problems using a cheap and cheerful mini toggle switch mounted in a small plastic box along with the input and 2 pairs of output sockets.
It can be used in reverse for two sources into a single input as well.

Hide this!Advertise here!